Jacinta00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My lab partners and I had run an experiment regarding electrochemical cells. We set up a galvanic cell to calvulate the cell standard reduction potential values of the metals we've tested and arrange Al, Zn, Mg, Fe and Cu in the correct order of increasing strength as reducing agent. Cu acted as the cathode whereas the other metals acted as the anode throughout the experiment. According to the emf series, the correct order should be Cu<Fe<Zn<Al<Mg. But we encountered a problem with Al during the experiment, because its Ecell value was the smallest compared to the others. So, our result of this experiment was Cu<Al<Fe<Zn<Mg. We can't seem to find the cause of this error because that is the data we've collected, and we followed the procedures correctly. Can u help me out with this?
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did the Al have a layer of Al2O3 that was preventing redox?
Jacinta00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
No, it didn't :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise