The Student Room Group

Life at uni

Hi, I recently received offers (economics) from KCL Durham Edinburgh and am still waiting for UCL. Does anyone know which of these unis tend to have the highest workload?

They have a similar amount of modules but I guess that doesnt tell the whole picture.
If a high workload would put you off then you might want to rethink your decision and apply to a subject that doesn’t feel so difficult to motivate yourself to study.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If a high workload would put you off then you might want to rethink your decision and apply to a subject that doesn’t feel so difficult to motivate yourself to study.

Quite the contrary, I want to go to a work intense uni, I am not very good at parties.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JackFu
Quite the contrary, I want to go to a work intense uni, I am not very good at parties.

The amount of work required is really up to you at universities. If you're motivated then you can do preliminary reading before lectures and follow up with extra reading/notes in your own time. Likewise with coursework you can bodge it all at the last minute or you can work on drafts and go to speak to your tutor in office hours and get extra feedback to improve your work and marks.

And if you still don't feel like you're busy enough then there's a huge number of opportunities to develop your skills and talents within clubs and societies and work that don't involve parties. Every student club or society needs a treasurer, a chair, a secretary to manage the admin.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The amount of work required is really up to you at universities. If you're motivated then you can do preliminary reading before lectures and follow up with extra reading/notes in your own time. Likewise with coursework you can bodge it all at the last minute or you can work on drafts and go to speak to your tutor in office hours and get extra feedback to improve your work and marks.

And if you still don't feel like you're busy enough then there's a huge number of opportunities to develop your skills and talents within clubs and societies and work that don't involve parties. Every student club or society needs a treasurer, a chair, a secretary to manage the admin.

Thanks, but by any chance, after holding the level of extra work (or just general work) you do as a constant, do you know by if one university would be more intense than another?
Original post by JackFu
Thanks, but by any chance, after holding the level of extra work (or just general work) you do as a constant, do you know by if one university would be more intense than another?

For your choices there's not going to be much noticeable difference. It might feel like more if you have a long commute from halls to university/library
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
For your choices there's not going to be much noticeable difference. It might feel like more if you have a long commute from halls to university/library

I see, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest