The Student Room Group

History Essay Help me!!!!

How do I improve my History Essay writing, I am working at a level 4 ( low C) and I have the facts and evidence correct I just cant seem to structure and improve my writing skills, any tips?
Make sure you are always referring back to the question adn always answering it - common mistakes tend to be that people write "everything they know" ie all the facts and evidence about teh topic mentioned in the essay title, when the question could be asking them about a specific aspect of it.
Original post by Simbasoul
Make sure you are always referring back to the question adn always answering it - common mistakes tend to be that people write "everything they know" ie all the facts and evidence about teh topic mentioned in the essay title, when the question could be asking them about a specific aspect of it.

okay, thankyou so much! how can i refer back to the question?
Look back at the title - make sure you understand what they are asking - for example: To what extent is X Castle typical of it's type for that era? This does not ask you to write everyhting you know about the castle you have studied - it asks you to identify how it is typical of the type of castle it is - it asks you to identify how it is different from some of the other castles of its type - it asks you to identify how different era castles evolved - if you just write everyhting you know, you may not get higher marks - you have to keep referring back to the question - so, when you are describing different aspects make sure you say X castle is unusual in that it has....... or when you are talking about castles that come before it say: previously, castles such as Y castle used to have .......defences whereas X castle has......

So you are still telling them everything you know but you are making sure you are referring back to the question and phrasing it in teh way the question has been asked. Hope this makes sense!!
Original post by Simbasoul
Look back at the title - make sure you understand what they are asking - for example: To what extent is X Castle typical of it's type for that era? This does not ask you to write everyhting you know about the castle you have studied - it asks you to identify how it is typical of the type of castle it is - it asks you to identify how it is different from some of the other castles of its type - it asks you to identify how different era castles evolved - if you just write everyhting you know, you may not get higher marks - you have to keep referring back to the question - so, when you are describing different aspects make sure you say X castle is unusual in that it has....... or when you are talking about castles that come before it say: previously, castles such as Y castle used to have .......defences whereas X castle has......

So you are still telling them everything you know but you are making sure you are referring back to the question and phrasing it in teh way the question has been asked. Hope this makes sense!!

yep this is perfect, thankyou so much!

Quick Reply

Latest