Work experience. Watch

mad_s14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm wanting to study an ODP (operating department practitioner) course at university. I'm just wondering on how to go about work experience. I've emailed a few hospitals about doing my year 12 work experience with them but most have been Un-successful. I'm just interested in how other people got work experience in a medical related place. Will working in a care home be good enough to put on my personal statement?
sotor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yep, whats important is not what you did but how you reflected on and learnt from what you saw. Keep a diary of your reflections throughout the experiences you can get.

It's not going to be possible to get work experience in an operating department, it's just not allowed from my experience - anything related to healthcare would be good for your course. Have you tried contacting specific departments within your local hospital or just the hospital? Is your hospital a teaching hospital? If it is, it will maybe have an education department that you could contact. That's how I got my work experience (for medicine).
mad_s14
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
yep, whats important is not what you did but how you reflected on and learnt from what you saw. Keep a diary of your reflections throughout the experiences you can get.

It's not going to be possible to get work experience in an operating department, it's just not allowed from my experience - anything related to healthcare would be good for your course. Have you tried contacting specific departments within your local hospital or just the hospital? Is your hospital a teaching hospital? If it is, it will maybe have an education department that you could contact. That's how I got my work experience (for medicine).
Hi, thank you for your reply, I have emailed the people that were provided on a work experience database we use given to us by our school, so i'm guessing it was just sent to the person who runs work experience at that hospital. However, Some people never got back to me - i understand i may not be a very high priority on their list of people to contact so that is understandable. I also live in a small town and it doesn't have a large hospital just a small medical center. So i emailed one of the closest hospitals to me but unfortunately they rarely let people from a different county do work experience with them, we get put onto a second list. I haven't tried contacting a specific department so i will make sure to do that next.
Many thanks
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
that seems quite weird to me that they wont let a resident of the UK do work experience there! Are you from outside the EU?

Even if you can't get hospital work experience, a care home sounds great. I imagine as an ODP you'll need great teamwork skills so this would be a great way to develop these and have examples to talk about in your personal statement. It will be good to show initiative (especially since you're contacting them and arranging it yourself! mention this in your personal statement) and leadership as well, both good skills for working as an ODP. So don't feel worried if you can't get into a hospital! Long term work experience is also really really good.

If you want some more direct medical experience, maybe try a GP instead. They often let students in, and a lot of GPs are technically self employed so might (emphasis on might) be less strict than hospitals.
Last edited by sotor; 2 months ago
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
this thread might do better in the medicine forum or something to do with work experience rather than A levels, you might get a few different opinions
mad_s14
Rep:
?
(Original post by sotor)
that seems quite weird to me that they wont let a resident of the UK do work experience there! Are you from outside the EU?

Even if you can't get hospital work experience, a care home sounds great. I imagine as an ODP you'll need great teamwork skills so this would be a great way to develop these and have examples to talk about in your personal statement. It will be good to show initiative (especially since you're contacting them and arranging it yourself! mention this in your personal statement) and leadership as well, both good skills for working as an ODP. So don't feel worried if you can't get into a hospital! Long term work experience is also really really good.

If you want some more direct medical experience, maybe try a GP instead. They often let students in, and a lot of GPs are technically self employed so might (emphasis on might) be less strict than hospitals.
I am from the UK and live here, when i emailed to ask how i apply for work experience at the hospital and what school/ where i come from i got an email back saying That the place i live which is roughly 45 mins from this particular hospital is " unfortunately outside of the catchment area and is not normally allocated any places. However, they do hold a reserve list and in the event that they don’t fill all the available places then they can then look at allocating places from the reserve list"

But thank you for all your help, i will try and email some specific departments and GP's too.
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mad_s14)
I am from the UK and live here, when i emailed to ask how i apply for work experience at the hospital and what school/ where i come from i got an email back saying That the place i live which is roughly 45 mins from this particular hospital is " unfortunately outside of the catchment area and is not normally allocated any places. However, they do hold a reserve list and in the event that they don’t fill all the available places then they can then look at allocating places from the reserve list"

But thank you for all your help, i will try and email some specific departments and GP's too.
oh sorry, I misread county as country! best of luck with everything
nio.m
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
basically you need to contact doctors and consultants themselves not just like the work experience sector.

I sent like 80 emails to different consultants all within the same hospital, they had all their contacts and emails on one page and my email was basically a cry for work experience. Only about 9 replied with work experience but i just chose the first one.
mad_s14
Rep:
?
(Original post by nio.m)
basically you need to contact doctors and consultants themselves not just like the work experience sector.

I sent like 80 emails to different consultants all within the same hospital, they had all their contacts and emails on one page and my email was basically a cry for work experience. Only about 9 replied with work experience but i just chose the first one.
Okay thankyou! I will give that a go... I'm also trying to get work experience in a care home each week too just for extra expereince but im not sure if that will be enough.
nio.m
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mad_s14)
Okay thankyou! I will give that a go... I'm also trying to get work experience in a care home each week too just for extra expereince but im not sure if that will be enough.
yeh its best to get both, that would be best case scenario
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.5%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
19.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.38%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.76%
How can I be the best version of myself? (97)
31.7%

Watched Threads