The Student Room Group

Plagiarism UCAS similarity detection (URGENT!! Pls Help)

OK so i just got an email from ucas about my personal statement being detected of 58% of similarity and yes i do admit to looking at a few personal statements the get the gist and i might have used some sentences as inspiration but not outright copy it.
I also received an email from one university asking for an explanation and a new personal statement and I looked at what ucas pointed out as similar and i changed the sentences and used different words. Can i send that or am I expected to write a whole new one.
Reply 1
Original post by r.anne75110
OK so i just got an email from ucas about my personal statement being detected of 58% of similarity and yes i do admit to looking at a few personal statements the get the gist and i might have used some sentences as inspiration but not outright copy it.
I also received an email from one university asking for an explanation and a new personal statement and I looked at what ucas pointed out as similar and i changed the sentences and used different words. Can i send that or am I expected to write a whole new one.

How long after submitting your application did you get this email from UCAS?

I would just write a new one to be safe. You can still use lots of the same points just do it completely in your own words
Reply 3
Best off writing something new because you are still using all of that similar stuff but worded differently and they will see that.
58 percent seems way to high if I'm being honest. The threshold is like 10 percent excluding common words.
You should rewrite everything from scratch, more than half of your personal statement has been detected as plagiarism which is pretty bad...

Tbf it seems like you dont really understand what plagiarism is or what the consequences are.
Why are you unable to write your own?.
Reply 7
its 12 similar sentences and I was just stuck on how to start it and to be honest I did not copy the sentences I just don't understand why it would be flagged when I looked at the one ucas sent me it was common things that were flagged like how i typed about the fact that i like lab techniques such as thin layer chromatography.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf it seems like you dont really understand what plagiarism is or what the consequences are.
Why are you unable to write your own?.

I do but the ones that they flagged were things such as gas chromatography or that me handling costumers helped with the introduction to the work world.
Reply 9
Original post by Redslayed
You should rewrite everything from scratch, more than half of your personal statement has been detected as plagiarism which is pretty bad...

It's not half just 12 similar sentences that looked unnecessarily flagged because how can they flag the fact that I mentioned that I liked certain aspects of biology or chemistry.
I do but the ones that they flagged were things such as gas chromatography or that me handling costumers helped with the introduction to the work world.

Its my impression from your OP that you do not when you talk about your understanding of what it is. It doesnt have to be word for word and rearranging the words a bit is probably not enough.

The fact that a uni nevermind ucas has raised the issue with you shows that your PS is similar to others and looks quite generic.

I would just rewrite it and make most of it original to me. Use yourself as the inspiration and not what others have written.
58% means more than half of your statement is copied directly or maybe ur using to many cliche/common topics/sentences. When ur rewriting ur personal statement maybe try to change some key words that you put about the subject to something less common and try to include less cliche words and especially if you mention a book btw. Because if it is a cliche book which has a unique name and everyone puts that book down it contributes to that plagiarism counter

Latest

Trending

Trending