pleasereplylol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so medical school 5 years. 2 years foundation training. then I'm confused...

is there core medical/ surgical training for 2/3 years and then more speciality training?

Eg) to become a GP. med school, FY1, FY2 and then just the 3 year training programme? or is there an extra couple of years before that?

Confuses me.
Advertisement
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pleasereplylol)
so medical school 5 years. 2 years foundation training. then I'm confused...

is there core medical/ surgical training for 2/3 years and then more speciality training?

Eg) to become a GP. med school, FY1, FY2 and then just the 3 year training programme? or is there an extra couple of years before that?

Confuses me.
It's a fairly convoluted system. I'll try to give you the general picture: everyone has to do the Foundation Programme. After that, you have core and run through training.

Run through training - you apply for the training programme, and once you're accepted onto it, you're on the track to becoming a consultant (subject to passing yearly reviews, postgrad exams, etc). You don't need to re-apply for training or jobs whilst you're on the programme, though you will be rotated around various hospitals and regions during this time. Run through specialties include O&G, radiology, histopathology, and paediatrics.

Core training (CT1, 2 and sometimes 3) consists of several generally related specialties which you rotate through before applying for ST3 positions. So you do CT1, CT2, then apply for ST3, at which point you then stop rotating so much and start training in your desired specialty. Because you've had to apply separately for ST3, there's a chance you might not get a position, or if you do, it might be in a totally different part of the country to where you did CT1 and CT2.

Like with pretty much everything else in medicine there are exceptions and subtleties e.g. psychiatry and A&E doctors do a CT3 year, then go into ST4.

GPs do the foundation programme then a three year GP training scheme which includes 18 months of hospital posts and 18 months in GP.

In terms of length of time to become a consultant, it very much depends on the specialty and whether any time out has been taken to re-apply for a job, complete exams, do a PhD/MD, training less than full time etc. For hospital specialties it takes between 5-8 years to complete training, but this is a generalisation - many doctors take longer than this to complete their training.

More info here:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp.../roles-doctors
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
depends on the speciality, but if you want to become an internal medicine physician, it looks something like this:

FY1 -> FY2 -> FY3 (optional) -> CT1 -> CT2 -> ST3 -> ST4 -> ST5 -> ST6 -> ST7 -> ST8
Only for some medical specialties. For most it will change from next year

Medicine: FY1 -> FY2 -(competition)-> IMT1 -> IMT2 -> IMT3 -(competition)-> ST4 -> ST5 -> ST6 -> ST7 -> Consultant
(most specialties, some specialties are IMT2 -(competition)-> ST3 -> ST4 -> ST5 -> ST6 -> ST7)

Surgery: FY1 -> FY2 -(competition)-> CT1 -> CT2 -(competition)-> ST3 -> ST4 -> ST5 -> ST6 -> ST7 -> Consultant
(most specialties, some e.g. neurosurgery are run through)

Psychiatry: FY1 -> FY2 -(competition)-> CT1 -> CT2 -> CT3 -(competition)-> ST4 -> ST5 -> ST6 -> Consultant

GP: FY1 -> FY2 -(competition)-> GPST1 -> GPST2 -> GPST3 -> GP
etc.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (8)
24.24%
No (25)
75.76%

Watched Threads