Halogenoalkane mechanism question please Watch

anactualmess
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Q10.Which one of the following types of reaction mechanism is not involved in the above sequence?
CH3CH2CH3 -----> (CH3)2CHCl --------> (CH3)2CHCN -------> (CH3)2CHCH2NH2 ------> (CH3)2CHCH2NHCOCH3

A free-radical substitution
B nucleophilic substitution
C elimination
D nucleophilic addition-elimination

I know that free-radical substitution is involved because an alkane is being converted to a halogenoalkane, and nucleophilic substitution is involved because a halogenoalkane is being converted to a nitrile, but after that I'm lost
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by anactualmess)
Q10.Which one of the following types of reaction mechanism is not involved in the above sequence?
CH3CH2CH3 -----> (CH3)2CHCl --------> (CH3)2CHCN -------> (CH3)2CHCH2NH2 ------> (CH3)2CHCH2NHCOCH3

C elimination

I know that free-radical substitution is involved because an alkane is being converted to a halogenoalkane, and nucleophilic substitution is involved because a halogenoalkane is being converted to a nitrile, but after that I'm lost
Nucleophilic addition-elimination when nitrile is hydrolysed and the last condensation reaction

answer is C
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

C elimination

Do you know what reaction is happening in the last step? Does it look like C or D?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

C elimination

Advice you to look at the reactions steps carefully. What happened in the first reaction? is this a substitution or addition? same goes for the next reaction steps. Did it came to elimination? where in the reactions did it come to free-radical, if any? are there nucleophilic reactions possible?

I would suggest you to write in lewis formula to have an overview to the structures. That makes it certainly easier for you to get the mechanisms out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.79%
Disagree (5)
6.49%
Neither agree or disagree (20)
25.97%
Agree (32)
41.56%
Strongly Agree (14)
18.18%

Watched Threads