Does this Muslim guy like me, or is he just annoying me? Watch

sqoobiedoobiedoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay...so I'm a Muslim girl, a first year undergraduate. Pretty quickly into the academic year, I met this guy at an extracurricular and since, we've been talking practically everyday on Facebook (he's a fourth year). It's usually light hearted banter but sometimes he gives me pretty deep compliments (you light up a room when you laugh, you're more inspirational than you think etc) which kinda freaks me out. Part of me is wondering if maybe it's a difference in culture...He's Algerian and I'm Pakistani, maybe what is a normal thing to say in the Arab culture is something I'm finding abnormal? We're good friends and I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings. I know talking on Facebook isn't an out of the norm thing for most people, but I guess in the Muslim community it is a pretty strange thing for a guy to talk to a girl everyday...I guess what I want to know is, should I be worried that he's looking for more than friendship?
Last edited by sqoobiedoobiedoo; 1 year ago
romemorris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sqoobiedoobiedoo)
Okay...so I'm a Muslim girl, a first year undergraduate. Pretty quickly into the academic year, I met this guy at an extracurricular and since we've been talking practically everyday on Facebook. It's usually light hearted banter but sometimes he gives me pretty deep compliments (you light up a room when you laugh, you're more inspirational than you think etc) which kinda freaks me out. We're good friends and I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings. I know talking on Facebook isn't an out of the norm thing for most people, but I guess in the Muslim community it is a pretty strange thing for a guy to talk to girl everyday...I guess what I want to know is, should I be worried that he's looking for more than friendship?
you should be
sqoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by romemorris)
you should be
If you don't mind me asking, what part of this whole ordeal makes you think that?
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have feelings for him? If you did would you date him?
sqoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
Do you have feelings for him? If you did would you date him?
I don't actually know, up until now I only ever thought of him as my friend, but everyone keeps pointing out how 'strange' it is. I guess I'd consider him that way since our personalities don't clash. The thing is, Muslims don't really do the whole dating thing. You know from the start that the end goal is marriage and it goes from 0 -100 real quick. So I guess that's why I'm freaking out, if he isn't looking for friendship, is he looking for marriage...
Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sqoobiedoobiedoo)
should I be worried that he's looking for more than friendship?
He is, whether you'd be up for something more is your call to make
sqoobiedoobiedoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Poooky)
He is, whether you'd be up for something more is your call to make
Hmmm, how do I go about letting him down easy, or how do I even figure out if I like him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads