The Student Room Group

RAF or University

Hello,I am at a crossroads in terms of what I want to do post sixth-form.The career path I'm set on taking is pertaining to languages, and I feel that a career in the RAF as an Intelligence Analyst (Linguist) will help me to fulfil my languages potential, in addition to lower costs in housing, food, gym and travel.Yet, in a day and age as increasingly competitive as ours, another part of me is telling me to get a degree instead.Do employers value someone fresh out of the forces with language qualifications (but not necessarily a degree) *and* experience, or someone who has been to a reputable Russell Group university studying languages?Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
Reply 1
Original post by flm3478
Hello,I am at a crossroads in terms of what I want to do post sixth-form.The career path I'm set on taking is pertaining to languages, and I feel that a career in the RAF as an Intelligence Analyst (Linguist) will help me to fulfil my languages potential, in addition to lower costs in housing, food, gym and travel.Yet, in a day and age as increasingly competitive as ours, another part of me is telling me to get a degree instead.Do employers value someone fresh out of the forces with language qualifications (but not necessarily a degree) *and* experience, or someone who has been to a reputable Russell Group university studying languages?Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

What's stopping you getting a degree then joining the RAF as a linguist or potentially intelligence officer?

And the big real world secret that nobody on tsr wants to admit; once you've had your first 'proper' job, nobody cares what your degree is or where you went for it.
Original post by flm3478

The MOD will pay for your degree if you serve for 6 years (PFHE scheme) . A free £30,000 is a decent payoff.

I served directly after A-levels and a couple of years work experience.

I've been at Durham and I've been offered at place at Cambridge for Masters.

On the other hand, I'm now 6-7 years behind my school cohort several of whom are now earning 300k+ after the same amount of time in investment banking.

If you're good, you'll make it work either way.

My personal recommendation would be to avoid the military altogether - do a degree and then join one of our intelligence agencies if you're interested in Int.

SS
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
What's stopping you getting a degree then joining the RAF as a linguist or potentially intelligence officer?

And the big real world secret that nobody on tsr wants to admit; once you've had your first 'proper' job, nobody cares what your degree is or where you went for it.

Hello,

Thank you so much for responding!

The two main things that are holding me back is the fact I'd rather go in when I'm younger and not later when I'm not tied down to any big commitments, like having a significant other, kids etc., and the fact that when you're younger, you're generally at your sharpest physically and mentally, which could help to stand me in good stead of excelling with a career in the RAF.

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Reply 4
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thank you so much for responding!

The two main things that are holding me back is the fact I'd rather go in when I'm younger and not later when I'm not tied down to any big commitments, like having a significant other, kids etc., and the fact that when you're younger, you're generally at your sharpest physically and mentally, which could help to stand me in good stead of excelling with a career in the RAF.

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

You're talking about 3 years, not 20... Your standards when you enter at 18 are not going to be drastically different to those at 21...

Consider as well, that most people join in their 20s. So maybe that says something about when it's best to join...
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
You're talking about 3 years, not 20... Your standards when you enter at 18 are not going to be drastically different to those at 21...

Consider as well, that most people join in their 20s. So maybe that says something about when it's best to join...

Hello,

What I have also considered is, doing my 4 year degree (history and modern languages), doing my 3 years minimum, and maybe an additional 3, and maybe jump back into civvie street?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Reply 6
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

What I have also considered is, doing my 4 year degree (history and modern languages), doing my 3 years minimum, and maybe an additional 3, and maybe jump back into civvie street?

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Best of both worlds.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Best of both worlds.

Hello,

I'm very sorry for almost bugging you with these responses.

In the broader context of the duration of the careers of most RAF personnel (15+ years), wouldn't a civilian employer find it unusual if I only spent three years in there, and left? (Hence why I'm considering an extra 3, in case)

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478
Reply 8
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

I'm very sorry for almost bugging you with these responses.

In the broader context of the duration of the careers of most RAF personnel (15+ years), wouldn't a civilian employer find it unusual if I only spent three years in there, and left? (Hence why I'm considering an extra 3, in case)

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Nope.

Not that many stay that long, and people outside the forces generally haven't got a clue what goes on inside the bubble.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Nope.

Not that many stay that long, and people outside the forces generally haven't got a clue what goes on inside the bubble.

Hello,

Oh, really? Then in that case, I've heard from ex-personnel who were pretty much only saw themselves wanting to join the military (most of whom reached Warrant Officer, and have been in for roughly 20 years).

I'm glad an employer wouldn't find it a little strange I spent what feels like a comparatively short time compared to other ex-personnel in RAF, because I did initially think that would set me back slightly.

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks,
Yours,
FLM3478

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending