A levels help please!!! Watch

maeeshah_2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Can someone please explain What happens after gcses in the UK? Like I understand what A levels are but how long are they for? Is it a 2 year program? And what is AS level? Oh and after you are done your a levels is it off to university? And one more question I'm a Canadian citizen if I come to the uk to do A levels will it be free for me or will I have to pay? Anddddd are all colleges free or are there like separate colleges which you have to pay for and only some of them are free for students.

Im really sorry for asking so many questions but thank you in advance! 💕
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A levels are a 2 year course where you study 3 or possibly 4 subjects and are examined at the end of the 2nd year. AS levels are one year (usually taken during the 1st year of your A level course.) AS levels used to be the same content as the first year of the 2 year A level course but now it is different content and is a totally separate qualification. Not many schools offer these any more. After A levels most people do a degree at university. There are private schools and 6th form colleges which are paid for. State schools and colleges are free - you would have to check residency rules with the local authority in the area you were living - they usually administer admissions for the state schools (colleges run their own admissions).
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can do A levels after GCSEs, or BTECs, or an apprenticeship. I’m sure there are a couple of other qualification types too. After A levels, which last two years, you can go off to university. AS is being phased out but are the exams taken after the first year of an A level. A2 is the second year.

Don’t know about funding.

There are public and private colleges, the public ones are free and you pay for the private ones (again, this is for a UK student, idk about other students).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by maeeshah_2002)
Can someone please explain What happens after gcses in the UK? Like I understand what A levels are but how long are they for? Is it a 2 year program? And what is AS level? Oh and after you are done your a levels is it off to university? And one more question I'm a Canadian citizen if I come to the uk to do A levels will it be free for me or will I have to pay? Anddddd are all colleges free or are there like separate colleges which you have to pay for and only some of them are free for students.

It will be free if you are 18 or under. State system.
They may have more issue registering you if you are 18 or older plus depending on what time of the year you arrive.
Academic year runs from Sept to June.
ccreaser
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A Levels typically are 2 year courses and students generally choose around 3 or 4 subjects to study in this time.

An AS Level can be considered to be half of an A Level, with this being a 1 year course instead of 2. AS Levels used to count towards half of a full A Level but since the courses have changed to a linear model this is no longer the case, and full A Levels are now sat all together after the 2 years.

There are many choices on what you can do after you have completed A Levels, you may choose to go directly into employment, perhaps take on an apprenticeship, and of course, you could apply to university.

I am not certain how the process works for international students, however most schools and colleges here are free, along with some private institutions that would need to be paid for.

I hope these are the answers you are looking for, and please ask if you need any clarification
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

My understanding is that a Canadian citizen would need a visa to study in the UK and a tier 4 student visa only allows you to study in a fee paying school. It would not enable you to attend a free state school.

https://www.hotcoursesabroad.com/stu.../articles.html
Last edited by gdunne42; 7 months ago
maeeshah_2002
Rep:
?
really? why would you need a student visa though since if you are a candian citizen you already have a candian passport so wouldnt that be used instead of a student visa? (Original post by gdunne42)My understanding is that a Canadian citwould need a visa to study in the UK and a tier 4 student visa only allows you to study in a fee paying school. It would not enable you to attend a free state school.

maeeshah_2002
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! im just a bit confused about wether canadian students can do A levels free in the uk or not. cause im in doing igcses and i wanna do A levels in the uk right so i need to know wether i will need to pay or not but thank you so much for your help! (Original post by ccreaser)A Levels typically are 2 year courses and students generally choose around 3 or 4 subjects to study in this time.

An AS Level can be considered to be half of an A Level, with this being a 1 year course instead of 2. AS Levels used to count towards half of a full A Level but since the courses have changed to a linear model this is no longer the case, and full A Levels are now sat all together after the 2 years.

There are many choices on what you can do after you have completed A Levels, you may choose to go directly into employment, perhaps take on an apprenticeship, and of course, you could apply to university.

I am not certain how the process works for international students, however most schools and colleges here are free, along with some private institutions that would need to be paid for.

I hope these are the answers you are looking for, and please ask if you need any clarification
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
really? why would you need a student visa though since if you are a candian citizen you already have a candian passport so wouldnt that be used instead of a student visa? (Original post by gdunne42)My understanding is that a Canadian citwould need a visa to study in the UK and a tier 4 student visa only allows you to study in a fee paying school. It would not enable you to attend a free state school.

A Canadian citizen can visit the uk as a tourist with a Canadian passport. If a canadian citizen wishes ro study in the uk for an extended period they are required to apply for a visa as explained in the link provided.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%