English Literature and Creative Writing at Bangor and Aberystwyth

Watch
Plumes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone and happy new year! I hope you've all had wonderful holidays and merciful hangovers.

I'm interested in what a combined course in English Literature and Creative Writing would look like at Bangor University and Aberystwyth University. I have received offers from both, but I'm an international student and visiting any of the unis that I'm interested in is a no-no for me, sadly :/ as I can't afford to travel. The most I can do is "attend" the online open day/s but might as well ask this forum about the courses, right? Which is what I'm doing right now.

I'd greatly appreciate if you told me more about each uni and their way of approaching the courses, modules, assessment, lectures and so on.

Environment matters a lot to me, so I would like to learn more about that as well. Is it welcoming? Is it fun?

Bangor will be my insurance choice, no matter what. That is something that I have already decided on. But I'm torn between Aber and Lancaster (Lancaster has some pretty high requirements and I'm not sure if i can make it)

If you have info about Swansea or Royal Holloway and Lancaster, that would be great but I might be pushing it here, lol.

Thanks in advance!
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Plumes)
Hello everyone and happy new year! I hope you've all had wonderful holidays and merciful hangovers.

I'm interested in what a combined course in English Literature and Creative Writing would look like at Bangor University and Aberystwyth University. I have received offers from both, but I'm an international student and visiting any of the unis that I'm interested in is a no-no for me, sadly :/ as I can't afford to travel. The most I can do is "attend" the online open day/s but might as well ask this forum about the courses, right? Which is what I'm doing right now.

I'd greatly appreciate if you told me more about each uni and their way of approaching the courses, modules, assessment, lectures and so on.

Environment matters a lot to me, so I would like to learn more about that as well. Is it welcoming? Is it fun?

Bangor will be my insurance choice, no matter what. That is something that I have already decided on. But I'm torn between Aber and Lancaster (Lancaster has some pretty high requirements and I'm not sure if i can make it)

If you have info about Swansea or Royal Holloway and Lancaster, that would be great but I might be pushing it here, lol.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Plumes,

I recently graduated from Royal Holloway as an English Literature student, so maybe I can help! I was drawn to Royal Holloway because it offered me a wide range of subjects I could study. One day I would be studying ancient medieval literature and the next I would be looking at the best of contemporary literature. In your first year of study there are core modules that introduce you to the basics of English Literature and Creative Writing. I found the Reorienting the Novel module really interesting as it allowed me to explore the developments and innovations of the novel form, from a range of contemporary, eighteenth and nineteenth-century novels. In you second and final year you’ll have more flexibility in the courses you choose and you can adapt your degree to fit you. Personally, I loved Victorian Literature so I choose the different modules that allowed me to focus on that area of work.

Each course and module offers different types of assessments. In my second year I did an introduction into a creative writing course and I was required to submit 6,000 words of creative writing as my assessment. Whereas in other courses you may have a mixture between exams and coursework. I would recommend looking at the required assessments for the modules you are interested in.

As for the environment at Royal Holloway, I found that it was in the perfect location for me. I wanted a campus style university where everything was in one place and I found there were many things to do here. It is also only a 40 minute train journey from London, so you have the city at your doorstep.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and you can also chat to current English student Helena on our website here.

Mairead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads