The Student Room Group

Should I move out to London or stay home?

Basically I took a gap year after my results were pretty ****. Now I've finally decided on the degree I want to study which is Film Production Technology (And visual effects).

I've applied to BCU for the course and Staffordshire uni. But after visiting London for a week, the film culture there is so big that I want to be involved so I've had a look at the unis, University of the Arts London does a slightly different course: Film Practice. And the grade boundaries are slightly higher, I'm unsure whether or not I should take a leap of faith and move to London and study a slightly different degree or just stick to staying at/nearby home and study the degree I really want.

I'm at a crossroads of choosing between amazing experience and opportunities aswell as a degree or a degree I love. Any advice?
You have to be accepted on a course first, which is never a given....London is certainly more expensive as a student...it's a tough industry wherever you study - but by all accounts the linkw with industry for film production are OK at BCU and Staffs.
Hi @Deku7, This does sound like a tough decision, but it's one a lot of people will be going through at the same time - so you're in the right place :smile: It sounds like you know what you want to study if you choose Staffordshire University, but we can help make sure you're as well informed as possible before you make your choice. If you would like we can get in touch with one of the Film Production lecturers and ask them to give you an email and discuss the course in more depth if this is something you might find helpful? Hope this helps and give us a shout if you want to know anything else about Staffordshire University! - Harriet
Reply 3
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Deku7, This does sound like a tough decision, but it's one a lot of people will be going through at the same time - so you're in the right place :smile: It sounds like you know what you want to study if you choose Staffordshire University, but we can help make sure you're as well informed as possible before you make your choice. If you would like we can get in touch with one of the Film Production lecturers and ask them to give you an email and discuss the course in more depth if this is something you might find helpful? Hope this helps and give us a shout if you want to know anything else about Staffordshire University! - Harriet

Thank you, I've spoken to someone and have arranged to visit the campus.
Original post by Deku7
Thank you, I've spoken to someone and have arranged to visit the campus.

Hi @Deku7

That's great news. Please give us a shout if we can help with anything else :smile:

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply