Last edited by 19n19; 4 months ago
Advertisement
andreasz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by alicewarren)
Hey guys, I got my BMAT scores today and I'm sooooo disappointed, I got 4.7 4.2 and 3A. My GCSE's are 5-9's, 2-A*'s and 1- A (only did eight due to long term illness in years 10 and 11). I also have 5-A's at Scottish Highers and my predicted grades are good.

Does anyone know whether I stand ANY chance of getting an interview for imperial??

(feel free to be harsh because I know it's quite unlikely)
Last year the cutoff to get an interview was a sum of 8.6 in sections 1 and 2 so you have a pretty good chance.
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by navienaa19)
3.9 and 3.3 and 3A
Last year the cutoff to get an interview was a sum of 8.6 in Sections 1 and 2, with an individual section cutoff of 3.5. Unless you qualify for the widening participation program, it is not very likely you’ll get an interview. Cutoff scores may or may not fall this year (although there is quite a bit of a difference between 7.2 and 8.6) but you need to apply strategically to maximize your chances of getting into med school. I think Imperial is kind of a long shot but it is really up to you to decide if it’s worth the risk for you or not.
Advertisement
elephant3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I meant your scores across all sections? Imperial have a cut-off of around 4.5 so if your other grades are good then theres no harm
Rockman501
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
On the imperial website it talks about needing a minimum of around 3.5 in both section 1&2 and a total score of 8.5 in both sections.

Does this mean the cutoff for 2019 entry was 3.5, or have they changed how they allow entry based on BMAT, so no hard cut off value for each section, just that you need to achieve a total of at least 8.5?

I'm just a bit confused about it
Last edited by Rockman501; 4 months ago
Advertisement
TheProphetsPath
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
lets say my bmat was not great- but i really want to go imperial
Do your best on all other parts of the application. If your heart is set on imperial then apply to imperial and of course apply to other universities. If you get into imperial then great, if not then you've done all u could and have the choice of the other universities you've applied to.
Kevwelday
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How does the widening participation program help you in the application to imperial? Do they give you a lower cut off for the BMAT?

Do they score the personal statement in selecting applicants to interview or is it used after?

Would appreciate the help. Thanks
Advertisement
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Rockman501)
On the imperial website it talks about needing a minimum of around 3.5 in both section 1&2 and a total score of 8.5 in both sections.

Does this mean the cutoff for 2019 entry was 3.5, or have they changed how they allow entry based on BMAT, so no hard cut off value for each section, just that you need to achieve a total of at least 8.5?

I'm just a bit confused about it
You need a total of 8.6 in sections 1 and 2 but you need to have at least 3.5 in each section. So for example if you got 7.0 in section 1 and 2.0 in section 2 you would be rejected even though your scores add up to 8.6, because your section 2 score is below 3.5.
Porkchopss
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey yall im also applying for medicine 2020 entry in imperial but as a gap year student as well as an international student. wanted to ask if they consider my application differently from say UK or EU students?
Advertisement
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Porkchopss)
hey yall im also applying for medicine 2020 entry in imperial but as a gap year student as well as an international student. wanted to ask if they consider my application differently from say UK or EU students?
Yes. You need a higher BMAT score to get an interview as an international student. Last year, intl students needed a sum of 10 0 in sections 1 and 2 to get an interview as opposed to 8.6 for EU students, with individual section cut offs of 4.0 (instead of 3.5) and a section 3 cutoff of 3C (instead of 2.5C.
Rockman501
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by andreasz)
You need a total of 8.6 in sections 1 and 2 but you need to have at least 3.5 in each section. So for example if you got 7.0 in section 1 and 2.0 in section 2 you would be rejected even though your scores add up to 8.6, because your section 2 score is below 3.5.
Right I see, thanks

So does that mean they've changed how they choose applicants based on the BMAT. Didn't they use to say you need a 4.5 for section 1, a 4.4 for section 2 ect?
Have they changed it now to say that you need a minimum of 3.5 in both but add up to 8.6, so there's a bit more leniency with what scores you have in both sections?
Advertisement
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Rockman501)
Right I see, thanks

So does that mean they've changed how they choose applicants based on the BMAT. Didn't they use to say you need a 4.5 for section 1, a 4.4 for section 2 ect?
Have they changed it now to say that you need a minimum of 3.5 in both but add up to 8.6, so there's a bit more leniency with what scores you have in both sections?
Yes they've changed it. They seem to be making lots of chnages in their admissions process. Interviews will be MMIs from this year.
iamthedude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello everybody

I need advice from somebody who knows about Imperial. I am a UK student who got 6.5 in section 1 and 7.0 in section 2 in the BMAT this year, which I am very happy with. The problem is that for section 3 of the BMAT I got 3.5C. I have no clue how I ended up with a terrible C.

I understand how the BMAT cut-off works, so last year I would have been over the cut-off. Does anybody know how exactly, once you are past the cut-off, Imperial uses the BMAT results? I mean, do they only care about S1+S2, etc? What I read online is confusing. They talk about bands. Then they say they no longer use bands.

Thanks a lot for your help
Advertisement
_chinenye__
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by andreasz)
Yes. You need a higher BMAT score to get an interview as an international student. Last year, intl students needed a sum of 10 0 in sections 1 and 2 to get an interview as opposed to 8.6 for EU students, with individual section cut offs of 4.0 (instead of 3.5) and a section 3 cutoff of 3C (instead of 2.5C.
do you know what the cut off was for international students in previous years like 2018 or 2017
_chinenye__
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by epau)
Yeah me either, I'm sure I'll be rejected from Imperial with my BMAT essay but we'll see. They still haven't released the cut off sore so who knows!
hiii. just wanted to know how the imperial admission went. did you make the cut? also, please what did you get on your interview
_chinenye__
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
a

(Original post by UrbanIncentive)
No way!!!!

Wow, congrats for the interview!
are you an international student or eu student
andreasz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by _chinenye__)
do you know what the cut off was for international students in previous years like 2018 or 2017
No, I think they only started releasing specific stats for international students last year.
Advertisement
delhibelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey guys my stats are as follows gcses all 9s but one A a level predicted AAA BMAT is kind on sad 4.7 4 3Ais it worth it please tell me my personal statemnt is the best it can be but all i need is an interview honestly so should i ??
Meduser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by delhibelly)
hey guys my stats are as follows gcses all 9s but one A a level predicted AAA BMAT is kind on sad 4.7 4 3Ais it worth it please tell me my personal statemnt is the best it can be but all i need is an interview honestly so should i ??
Last year cut off for s1 + s2 was 8.6 and you have 8.7 so you would have made that. Could increase, could decrease this year- we may get an idea when the score report comes out in November but not before that sadly. If I was you- I would apply, if that helps lol
flowergirl15
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i got 5.4,4.2 and 3.5A for imperial. a bit worried if it's too risky?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads