Meduser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by UrbanIncentive)
Haha. I know I can’t wait for it to be over and done with so I can finally have a break from this UCAS application. I feel like it never ends 😂😂.
Honestlyyyy!! There’s so much stuff to do for it 😂 UCAT was bad enough
Exdoz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Does anyone know the standard offer Imperial give for medical students? I have been hearing the standard offer is A* A* A.
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
Does anyone know the standard offer Imperial give for medical students? I have been hearing the standard offer is A* A* A.
85% of offers are A*AA. Have never heard of A*A*A being given.
Exdoz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Meduser)
85% of offers are A*AA. Have never heard of A*A*A being given.
So the other 15% is AAA right? And this is for people on the contextual list ?
And where did you get this information from?
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
So the other 15% is AAA right? And this is for people on the contextual list ?
And where did you get this information from?
It says on their website
Yes pretty sure the rest are AAA
puravi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hopefulA100)
Have u done your bmat ? I haven’t received and I sent in a week ago
nope I haven't done my BMAT yet, doing it on the 30th
puravi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by laraxsha)
When did you send in your application??
I sent my UCAS application on the 10th of October
UrbanIncentive
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah exactly! Tbh for some weird reason, I prefer the BMAT to the UCAT (eww).

Also: quick question; on the webpage for medicine- under selection process: it says:

Selection panel
The selection panel comprises of teachers in undergraduate education with experience in the admissions process, who will decide whether to offer the candidate an interview. These decisions are ratified by one of the admissions tutors. The following criteria may be considered when assessing applications:

A-level or equivalent predicted (or achieved) grades
BMAT scores
Evidence of commitment to the values of the NHS Constitution
Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career
Community activities
Leadership and teamwork
Extracurricular interests
Referee’s report

It says BMAT scores. I'm assuming it's only used for a cut off and past that it should be okay - or is it used to offer interviews as well?
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah exactly! Tbh for some weird reason, I prefer the BMAT to the UCAT (eww).

Also: quick question; on the webpage for medicine- under selection process: it says:

Selection panel
The selection panel comprises of teachers in undergraduate education with experience in the admissions process, who will decide whether to offer the candidate an interview. These decisions are ratified by one of the admissions tutors. The following criteria may be considered when assessing applications:

A-level or equivalent predicted (or achieved) grades
BMAT scores
Evidence of commitment to the values of the NHS Constitution
Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career
Community activities
Leadership and teamwork
Extracurricular interests
Referee’s report

It says BMAT scores. I'm assuming it's only used for a cut off and past that it should be okay - or is it used to offer interviews as well?
They said post-interview, they only thing they use on the offer making process is interview performance
UrbanIncentive
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They said post-interview, they only thing they use on the offer making process is interview performance
Sorry, I meant it as in selection for interview.
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Tbh they say they have a look for other things on the UCAS form but other than checking you meet minimum academic criteria and maybe scanning PS for red flags they don’t really use it to select for interview. I emailed them and they said they only used the BMAT to select for interview
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In supplement to my last post- the reason there is a second cut off as well as the minimum one (3.5,3,5,2.5C) is because the BMAT is what is used to select for interview. That’s the whole point of a cut off- they set the cut off by looking at how many they want to interview and then work down the list of BMAT scores to invite for interview (sorry idk if I’m explaining this well)
UrbanIncentive
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In supplement to my last post- the reason there is a second cut off as well as the minimum one (3.5,3,5,2.5C) is because the BMAT is what is used to select for interview. That’s the whole point of a cut off- they set the cut off by looking at how many they want to interview and then work down the list of BMAT scores to invite for interview (sorry idk if I’m explaining this well)
Thanks so much, I was just a bit confused why it said that on the website lol - but what you've said makes complete sense. Thanks again
Meduser
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks so much, I was just a bit confused why it said that on the website lol - but what you've said makes complete sense. Thanks again
No problem
SanityGone
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Guys, if you’re thinking of imperial you need to check out the changes to anatomy teaching. They have cut the time spent on anatomy severely and are no longer doing dissection. I’m a first year and I am so angry as this was a priority for me.
UrbanIncentive
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SanityGone)
Guys, if you’re thinking of imperial you need to check out the changes to anatomy teaching. They have cut the time spent on anatomy severely and are no longer doing dissection. I’m a first year and I am so angry as this was a priority for me.
Hi thanks for letting us know. Is that only major change or are there others. (Except for the curriculum restructure). I’m sure at the open day they mentioned dissection?
SanityGone
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi thanks for letting us know. Is that only major change or are there others. (Except for the curriculum restructure). I’m sure at the open day they mentioned dissection?
We were told before starting that they were keeping dissection. It’s hard to say what the other major changes are as i don’t know loads of detail about the curriculum before - I was applying to several med schools along with doing - ya know - A levels at the time! I do know that the changes mean that imperial spend about the lowest time on anatomy of any medicine course in the country which I wish I’d known when I was considering which of my offers to firm
Porkchopss
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
We were told before starting that they were keeping dissection. It’s hard to say what the other major changes are as i don’t know loads of detail about the curriculum before - I was applying to several med schools along with doing - ya know - A levels at the time! I do know that the changes mean that imperial spend about the lowest time on anatomy of any medicine course in the country which I wish I’d known when I was considering which of my offers to firm
really? im reading an article about it and apparently as of march 2019 imperial said that they were still doing full body dissections. must be a recent change then
SanityGone
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yup. We were literally told in anatomy class this week. I’m a first year, three weeks in, and this was a shock to us. We were told at the offer day that curriculum changes were under way but we would still be doing dissection. Many unhappy students, most of whom had other offers elsewhere that some of us would have taken up if we had known this.

(Original post by Porkchopss)
really? im reading an article about it and apparently as of march 2019 imperial said that they were still doing full body dissections. must be a recent change then
System Gemini
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yup. We were literally told in anatomy class this week. I’m a first year, three weeks in, and this was a shock to us. We were told at the offer day that curriculum changes were under way but we would still be doing dissection. Many unhappy students, most of whom had other offers elsewhere that some of us would have taken up if we had known this.
Hey guys, I’m another med student here. I can totally back what this guy is saying, a lot of people feel misled, so please keep it in mind. Imperial is still an amazing place I feel, but for anyone who cares for anatomy (like me), understand that Imperial is from now on deficient in this area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads