MHoC Awards: Parliament 27 Watch

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
It is time for the MHoC awards for the 27th Parliament – a termly tradition to reward positive contributions to the MHoC.

As usual, there will be seven awards to hand out:

1) Debater of the Parliament
The member whose sheer wit and dazzling persuasion have left you in absolute awe.

2) Newbie of the Parliament
A member who, though unheard of six months ago, has made the best impression since then. (Must have made their first post in the MHoC since 4th June 2018.)

3) Award for Best Legislation
A showstopping tract of legalese that made you go all weak at the knees. (Please send a bill title and link.)

4) Comedian of the Parliament
Awarded to the wittiest member whose contributions always give the House a few lighter moments.

5) Drunkard of the Commons Bar
The MHoC's resident drink lover who can do a superb Eric Joyce impression.

6) Mr/Ms Congeniality
The nicest member of the House.

7) The Speaker's Award (The Rhodri Morgan Medal)
An honorary award for the member who's most caught my eye during the 27th Parliament.

Nominations for the first six awards may be sent to me – by TSR PM by 6pm on Monday 7th January please. The seventh award will be awarded directly by me, rather than by a vote of MPs.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1.) Debater - Jammy

2.) Newbie - London

3.) Best legislation - M506 No Deal Brexit Motion

4.) Drunkard - Hazzer1998

5.) Ms. Congeniality - Catus

6.) Speaker’s Award - Life_Peer (for absolutely sensational party leadership, passing the first budget and finance bill in years and possibly being the first minority single party government to pass a budget.)
Last edited by Lady*Stardust; 1 week ago
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
1.) Debater - Jammy

2.) Newbie - London

3.) Best legislation - M506 No Deal Brexit Motion

4.) Drunkard - Hazzer1998

5.) Ms. Congeniality - Catus

6.) Speaker’s Award - Life_Peer (for absolutely sensational party leadership, passing the first budget and finance bill in years and possibly being the first minority single party government to pass a budget.)
Nominations for the first six awards may be sent to me – by TSR PM by 6pm on Monday 7th January please. The seventh award will be awarded directly by me, rather than by a vote of MPs.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EagleKingdom)
I’ve sent them by PM too - I’m just airing my nominations publicly too by choice.

As for the Speaker’s Award, just my opinion on who should get it
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I’ve sent them by PM too - I’m just airing my nominations publicly too by choice.

As for the Speaker’s Award, just my opinion on who should get it
Gotcha Conroy
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Snufkin for comedian
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Snufkin for comedian
Aye
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The person I shall be nominating shall be in bold, with those closely behind in brackets.

1) Debater of the Parliament: Connor27 (Rakas21, Jammy Duel, Saunders16)
Connor27 - His move towards social conservatism has forced him to focus on defending his views, rather than the scandals he was once surrounded by, more than ever before. I have always seen him as an intelligent person and an entertaining personal to argue with, but I believe he has shined this term in this regard as a more mature member than before.
Rakas21 - Consistently defends his party's legislation, successfully defending the budget. I believe he does so in a clearer manner than ns_2, who I expect will be nominated. However, he is sometimes not as passionate or active as members like Connor27.
Jammy Duel - Opposed another budget very convincingly once again, but his activity has fallen this term while he has attempted to fit into positions of power and been embroiled in off-site battles.
Saunders16 - I am not sure I will receive a nomination because I was absent for a third of the term and not as visible while attempting to heal the National Conservatives in the first third. However, I personally believe I have improved at debating since last term and quite considerably since joining the House.

2) Newbie of the Parliament: N/A
Nobody is worthy of this award this term. Eppeb has been the most relevant newbie, but is uneligible under the requirements outlined. London090 has been the most active newbie, but that is not saying much as most of that activity has been concentrated off-site on the past two months. Mr Eurosceptic may even be more worthy in terms of on-site contributions, but that is not saying much.

3) Award for Best Legislation: N/A
I do not really believe anyone deserves this following the Great Repeal, as it has promoted laziness. While other terms have had iconic bills, this has been a rush to shift the balance of power and in the process we have seen some pretty uninspiring egislation.

4) Comedian of the Parliament: SoggyCabbages
While he is currently banned, he is one of the few members who's meme game can actually make me laugh.

5) Drunkard of the Commons Bar: Tanqueray91
Nobody else is drunk quite enough to really bring their liking of alcohol onto TSR. That said, it is a silly award. Nobody really cares enough about the Commons Bar to deserve the award because of off-site communications, so I'll just take it to be a celebration of alcoholism.

6) Mr/Ms Congeniality: Rakas21
Close to two years in the community shows me that the people who are well-liked have a nasty side 9 times out of 10. Rakas21 gets my nomination due to being good to have a conversation with and debating fairly and respectfully. I find him down-to-earth and a strong asset to the community.

7) The Speaker's Award (The Rhodri Morgan Medal): Jammy Duel
I have little hope for this being an accurate representation of the community, as the last two have gone to the members who have leaked to the Speaker (Parliament 25) and stayed out of drama (Parliament 26) in terms where the Speaker was widely disliked and drama defined it. Jammy Duel deserves this for rising to the position of Deputy Speaker and party leader and being what people will remember this term for.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Jammy Duel because when he really bothers to debate properly, he is very good. The debate on the Budget is a good example of this. Rakas21 gets an honourary mention as he can be a decent debater offsite, but sadly rarely exemplifies this onsite. Instead he has often been seen to give perfunctory comments of 'aye' on government legislation before disappearing and not debating those not in favour.

I will have to go for London090, though her next step should be to post onsite in public more.

There were a couple of notable ones (for various reasons), but none that I feel really deserve an award. We should up our game this term.

There are a few people who have a good sense of humour about the House, however I'm not sure anyone really stands out to me.

For me this would be a toss-up between Tanqueray91, Hazzer1998 and Saunders16. Since all but the last in that list have already been nominated however, I shall be nominating Saunders16 for amusing us all with his appalling spelling when drunk!

6) Mr/Ms Congeniality
I'm going to go for Andrew97. I don't think he has disputed with people and overall I find him a pleasant person to talk to.

7) The Speaker's Award (The Rhodri Morgan Medal)
This award cannot be nominated for, but naturally I look forward to seeing upon who the Speaker decides to bestow it.

(And yes, I have sent this via PM)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Voting is now taking place here.

Please note that an alternative vote system will be used this term. Only MPs may vote, and only votes accompanied by a TSR username will be counted. Given there are plenty of people here capable of turning a set of fun, informal awards into a scandal, please keep a record of your vote just in case I need to verify it.

The nominations in each category are:

Life_peer
04MR17
Jammy Duel
ns_2
Connor27
Rakas21

Mr Eurosceptic
London090

B1383 – Great Repeal Bill 2018
B1386 – Drug (Decriminalisation) Bill 2018
B1397 – Right of Access to Personal Data Bill 2018
B1415 – Assisted Dying Bill 2018
B1417 – Broadcasting and Advertising Conduct Authority Bill 2018

Andrew97
SoggyCabbages

Tanqueray91
Saunders16
SoggyCabbages
Hazzer1998
RedLuxemburg

6) Mr/Ms Congeniality
CatusStarbright
Jammy Duel
Andrew97
ns_2
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Voting will be open for four days.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
04MR17
wow :toofunny:

6) Mr/Ms Congeniality
Jammy Duel
Actually, this is more amusing.
Last edited by 04MR17; 2 weeks ago
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have voted.
Spoiler:
Show
Posting for the record in case of scandal.
https://i.imgur.com/OR7GaAA.png
Last edited by 04MR17; 2 weeks ago
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have now voted.
CoffeeGeek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Voted.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have also now voted.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have voted.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Voted.
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Voted
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Voted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (4)
21.05%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (9)
47.37%
Nope, not that interesting (6)
31.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed