Is a 2:2 degree still a achievement? Watch

Berryboy01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What do you think? If someone told you they got a 2:2 degree, would you say they achieved something important in their life?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it's all about what you do with it.

if you graduate with a 1st but you become long term unemployed it's not much of an achievement.

if you graduate with a 2.2 but get onto a good grad scheme then it's an achievement.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I wouldn't really know. For some people, it is genuinely what they are capable of. In that case, awesome - well done. For some it would be an underachievement. It is contextual.

I'd have been gutted with a 2:2, personally.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Berryboy01)
What do you think? If someone told you they got a 2:2 degree, would you say they achieved something important in their life?
no. unless they overcame significant adversity
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes, in the same way that taking a poo is an achievement.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Yes, in the same way that taking a poo is an achievement.
Actually laughed :laugh:
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It can be, if you're able to get your foot in the door. Although you will likely spend a lot more time working your way up than your counterparts with a better degree. That being said, once your foot is in the door. If you show competence & work ethic, there is no reason you can't end up in front of those that did better than you at uni. Believe it or not, most people will see more than just a grade when you are in their face every day.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
no. unless they overcame significant adversity
why do I feel somewhat inclined to agree with you
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It depends on the degree, the uni and when they graduated.
Berryboy01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
It depends on the degree, the uni and when they graduated.
Why does it matter when they graduated?
Berryboy01
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Grade inflation
(Original post by J-SP)
Someone holding down far bigger commitments than a degree and getting a 2.2 is a far bigger achievement than someone who doesn’t have to do anything but study and who is achieving a first.
What are those commitments?
Amha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you have good transferable skills then yes
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Who cares.

You must be deeply insecure to worry about whether or not someone else is going to judge you for being proud of a grade.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Well it depends. I'm not proud of my 2.2 degree but tbh considering everything that happened in the run-up to and during my Finals, and the fact that I only revised for half of one exam out of 6, it's an achievement I got a degree at all
GraduateLynx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
TBH if I got a 2:2 I would not be very happy with myself. I got a 2:1 and still currently looking for work. However some employers require you to have obtained a minimum 2:2 but not all.

The fact is a 2:2, 2:1 or even a 1st does not automatically get you a job which I found out really late. Work experience and skills VERY important.
Last edited by GraduateLynx; 7 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Why does it matter when they graduated?
1sts and 2.1s are far more common than they were twenty years ago.
Berryboy01
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Loads of different things.

Know people who hold down more hours than a full time job and then also do a full time degree

Know people who care for family members (whether kids, parents or other family)

Know people who commute up to two hours each way to get to their uni

Know people who do competitive sport at an international level and hold down a degree

If you are a student whose only commitment is your degree, and you get a first, that isn’t an achievement.
What if you had family problems? eg not getting along with your dad or mom.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
These things are on a spectrum.

There’s not getting on with your mum or dad and it having no impact on your studies at all. There’s people who have been kicked out of home and are homeless who it does impact.

Like most of these things, trying to quantify them and say someone is more deserving of respect because of X or Y is a bit mental.
I think you've been reading Take a Break too much. Everyone's life turned into a sob story.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Haven’t even got a clue what you are on about.

Anyone who thinks it’s as simple as going a 2.1 means this and a 2.2 means that is an idiot though, whether there’s a “sob story” or not behind it. It’s threads like this that make me wonder why I even bother on here.
It was the comment you made about a first not being an achievement, unless your ma was kidnapped by ISIL during your final exams, that got the Take a Break comment.

But obviously, there are people who have struggled through a degree and they deserve credit for it. That doesn't mean you have to **** on people who have a normal life, who have also managed to do something worthy of praise.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Of course it’s an achievement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%