The Student Room Group

Is a 2:2 degree still a achievement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bones-mccoy
Depends on the individual. I'm mostly proud of my 2.2 because a lot of people in my situation would have dropped out of uni, let alone finish all 3 years, complete a dissertation and graduate with a lower second class degree. I do get frustrated because of the barriers I face with not getting a 2.1/first, but the area I want to work in is very work experienced-focused which I have plenty of.

How old are you if I may ask ?
Reply 21
Original post by J-SP
Grade inflation

No such thing as grade inflation lmao

You can't ever convince me to believe that getting a 2.1 in Maths at Oxford back in 1980's was much more difficult to achieve than getting a 2.1 in Maths at Oxford now.
a degree is a degree
Reply 23
Original post by J-SP
Well if I can’t ever convince you, I won’t bother showing you the evidence that proves grade inflation.

There’s many reasons why that grade inflation exists.

Go ahead, prove that grade inflation exists.
Reply 24
You shouldn't care if other people think your degree classification is an achievement or not, so long as you know you did your best in your personal situation. The only person you should be trying to impress is yourself.

Some people I know, myself included, went through the hardest times of their lives during their 3 year undergrad degrees so to achieve a degree at all is a big thing for them. I was upset with my grade at first but now, 2 postgraduate medicine interviews later, I realised it all depends what you do with it!
Reply 25
Original post by GraduateLynx
TBH if I got a 2:2 I would not be very happy with myself. I got a 2:1 and still currently looking for work. However some employers require you to have obtained a minimum 2:2 but not all.

The fact is a 2:2, 2:1 or even a 1st does not automatically get you a job which I found out really late. Work experience and skills VERY important.

Loooooooooooooool when did you ever think a 2.1/First will guarantee you a job? In every news outlet, and in every school, they tell you this.
Reply 26
Original post by Muttley79
1sts and 2.1s are far more common than they were twenty years ago.

For possibly many other reasons, not for "grade inflation".

Counter-example:

% of people being awarded a First Class at Cambridge was 13% in 1980, 29.8% in 2000, and 23% in 2010. Looking at the difference in % change between 2010 and 1980 is quite significant, but you're ignoring that the proportion of people achieving a First has actually decreased from 2000.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AnharM

Counter-example:

% of people being awarded a First Class at Cambridge was 13% in 1980, 29.8% in 2000, and 23% in 2010. Looking at the difference in % change between 2010 and 1980 is quite significant, but you're ignoring that the proportion of people achieving a First has actually decreased from 2000.

https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/media/af3bfe43-5f87-4749-9a8b-ea94f3755976/ofs2018_54.pdf

(oh and it was 34.2% firsts from Cambridge in 2016/17)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by p.medic
You shouldn't care if other people think your degree classification is an achievement or not, so long as you know you did your best in your personal situation. The only person you should be trying to impress is yourself.

Some people I know, myself included, went through the hardest times of their lives during their 3 year undergrad degrees so to achieve a degree at all is a big thing for them. I was upset with my grade at first but now, 2 postgraduate medicine interviews later, I realised it all depends what you do with it!

Preach!

We should be define 'success' for ourselves, not by some standard set by society.

If a 2:2 gets you to where you personally need to go, then that's great. Everyone's on their own journey. Also, a 2:2 is still a pass by definition, so it's really just a matter of perspective!

Lastly, it's important to be passionate about what you study. It doesn't mean much for me, personally, to get a fantastic grade in a subject I don't enjoy. :dontknow:
Reply 29

Original post by J-SP
Has it decreased by 16.8%?

You're completely disregarding the different circumstances students were in 20 years ago.
You could argue that a 2.1 wasn't needed to get a job twenty years ago, let alone a First. Only the ones who truly cared about their education and achievements really put the effort in to get a First.

Now, you won't be able to find a graduate scheme without them asking for at least a 2.1. Students are forced to make sure they at least get a 2.1, and because a lot of students get 2.1's, to differentiate themselves from the "average", more and more students aim to get Firsts in their degrees.

Statistics like this completely disregard the different circumstances faced by students in different eras. I'm sure there are many other reasons that has lead to the gradual increase of Firsts being awarded over the last 20 years.
Original post by AnharM
You're completely disregarding the different circumstances students were in 20 years ago.
You could argue that a 2.1 wasn't needed to get a job twenty years ago, let alone a First. Only the ones who truly cared about their education and achievements really put the effort in to get a First.

Now, you won't be able to find a graduate scheme without them asking for at least a 2.1. Students are forced to make sure they at least get a 2.1, and because a lot of students get 2.1's, to differentiate themselves from the "average", more and more students aim to get Firsts in their degrees.

Statistics like this completely disregard the different circumstances faced by students in different eras. I'm sure there are many other reasons that has lead to the gradual increase of Firsts being awarded over the last 20 years.

As someone who graduated around 20 years ago I can assure you that you're talking utter crap :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by PQ
As someone who graduated around 20 years ago I can assure you that you're talking utter crap :biggrin:

And you are one single person, you don't speak for everyone's experience.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2041661/has-applying-for-jobs-changed-from-the-70s-80s-90s-to-today

This thread and this article says different. You are completely disregarding the different level of pressure placed on students now.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/24/has-university-life-changed-student-experience-past-present-parents-vox-pops
but its a burger
Original post by AnharM
And you are one single person, you don't speak for everyone's experience.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2041661/has-applying-for-jobs-changed-from-the-70s-80s-90s-to-today

This thread and this article says different. You are completely disregarding the different level of pressure placed on students now.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jun/24/has-university-life-changed-student-experience-past-present-parents-vox-pops

The thread you've linked to is talking about non-graduate jobs and the focus is mainly on the 70s and 80 - 40-50 years ago not 20 years ago.
The link is talking about the experiences of people who graduate 40+ years ago not 20 years ago - and is just 4 anecdotes not anything concrete.

The only graduate recruitment scheme in the late 90s that accepted 2:2s was the civil service fast stream. They still accept 2:2s today.
Please feel free to find me some evidence of a scheme that accepted 2:2s then that now insists on a 2:1.
Reply 34
Seems so mundane and obvious that it is baffling you even need to make this point.
Depends on the person. If you were capable of a first and got a 2.2 because you put no effort in then no. If you worked your ass off and a 2.2 was the limit of your capability then yes.
Original post by AnharM

Counter-example:

That's just Cambridge! There has been an enormous increase in the proportion of 1sts/2.1s compared to lower classifications.
Depends on what the 2:2's in. If it's in art from a bad uni it's not an achievement. If it's a BSc from a top uni it's fine. Degrees become worthless 20 years down the line when you have experience
Original post by J-SP
Let’s be mindful that about 90% of Cambridge grads are coming out with a 2.1 or above too, so it is difficult for it to be “inflated” when it’s already high.

What are you talking about? We are looking at every university as I said .. read the posts for context.
Reply 39
Original post by J-SP
Although it tends to be “easier” to get higher percentages in BScs where their content is more factually correct with more right or wrong answers, compared to arts courses where there is often a percentage cap of 80% or 90% where the subject is open to interpretation/opinion.

Yeah, anecdotally, I give out way more 2:2s than I do firsts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending