Emno
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I am a Swedish student about to finish my undergraduate and am now looking to do my MSc in the UK. When entering my references should both academic references be from my university or could one be from my upper secondary school (equivalent to A-levels). The reason for that is that my university lecturers usually have 50+ students at the same time and we might only have the same lecturer for 1 or 2 modules so they don’t know the student very well like my upper secondary school teachers did.

Thank you in advance!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your academic references should be recent. Not someone from secondary school
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emno)
Hello,
I am a Swedish student about to finish my undergraduate and am now looking to do my MSc in the UK. When entering my references should both academic references be from my university or could one be from my upper secondary school (equivalent to A-levels). The reason for that is that my university lecturers usually have 50+ students at the same time and we might only have the same lecturer for 1 or 2 modules so they don’t know the student very well like my upper secondary school teachers did.

Thank you in advance!
Your references should be recent, and ideally reflect how you cope with university-level study, which means it would be sensible if both your references were from you current university.
Emno
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay, fair enough. Are the universities expecting a lot from these references? I don’t know how it is in UK but we only see the lecturers during the lecture and then at the final exam, they don’t usually even know our faces. The only thing they can say is how we performed on any hand-ins and at the final exams.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, they won't be expecting too much from them. It is the same in the UK, the people who you put down as your referees may not know you very well at all, but every University student should be allocated a personal tutor and it is part of their role to provide student references regardless of how well they actually know the student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (120)
59.11%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
4.93%
No- I want it (57)
28.08%
No- I don't want it (16)