The Student Room Group

Meat tax? Green proposal from Caroline Lucas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
It is a triple whammy for the poor. They will not be able to afford the meat that gives them basic nutrients, won't understand the need to supplement a vegan diet to make it heal;thy and won't be able to afford the artificial supplements that are needed to make it healthy.

Who cares about the poor? Certainly not the regressive puritanical 'liberals'.

One of the ironies of the vegan diet is it often takes more land and water to sustain it and produce the necessary nutrients a huge vegan population would need.
Original post by Dandaman1
One of the ironies of the vegan diet is it often takes more land and water to sustain it and produce the necessary nutrients a huge vegan population would need.

And could not work in a less advanced world and may, therefore, be completely unsustainable in the more distant future.
The Greens are responsible for their fare share of emmissions and that could be worked on too, here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYjG3ix-bw

And on Brexit it's even worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Rb0QLt3fA
(edited 5 years ago)

What's your source for this? Are you talking about specific crops like soya and palm oil?
Original post by Good bloke
It is a triple whammy for the poor. They will not be able to afford the meat that gives them basic nutrients, won't understand the need to supplement a vegan diet to make it heal;thy and won't be able to afford the artificial supplements that are needed to make it healthy.

Who cares about the poor? Certainly not the regressive puritanical 'liberals'.

The tax would also have the complete opposite effect to what is claimed, instead of raising welfare and environmental standards people would start buying cheaper mass produced meat to compensate for the tax.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I am suffering from the correct apprehension that putting taxes on bad stuff causes less of the bad stuff to be consumed, to the general betterment.

But forgetting that sabotaging an economic sector helps nobody, least of all the poorer members of society.
Original post by jameswhughes
The tax would also have the complete opposite effect to what is claimed, instead of raising welfare and environmental standards people would start buying cheaper mass produced meat to compensate for the tax.

The Green Party, and regressive 'liberals' generally, have never been good at understanding side effects.
We can't. We want your meat! To put in the dustbin of history. :teehee:

Hehe glad i'm not the only one who was thinking in innuendo on that statement.
What's your source for this? Are you talking about specific crops like soya and palm oil?

My own book learnin' from my university years.

A lot of land isn't ideal for growing food for human consumption but can still be used to sustain livestock, produce food for animals, etc. You can get more calories and nutrients for an omnivorous or vegetarian diet per acre of land than you can with a vegan diet overall.

There are also foods popular among vegans, such as avocado and various nuts, than require very inefficient quantities of water to sustain mass production.
Reply 29
i support that idea. meat used to be expensive, and people would only eat meat once or twice a week. for some reason, our culture now involves eating meat more than 3 times a day. it's completely unsustainable.

however, needs to be coupled with tougher standards on animal welfare. increasing the cost of meat will encourage farmers to lower their prices. the money has to come from somewhere, and then i'd fear that animal welfare would be sacrificed in the process.
(edited 5 years ago)
What if I don't give a damn about animal welfare and consider there to be more pressing environmental concerns such as energy production. We need more nuclear power stations not paying a bit more for a fantastic source of protein, seriously what is the issue with chicken?
Green MP Caroline Lucas is to propose a tax on meat.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/04/caroline-lucas-green-mp-meat-tax-oxford-farmers-conference-prioritise-sustainability

Industrialised meat production is a major producer of CO2 and also contributes significantly to global poor health. In the West (and increasingly in Asia), excessive meat consumption and poor quality meat caused by industrialised methods is a major cause of disease.

Better manure management and careful selection of feed can both help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but at the risk of incurring the wrath of the energy secretary, who said recently that encouraging people to eat less meat would be the worst sort of nanny state ever we need serious consideration of measures like a meat tax. - Caroline Lucas.

Taxes would work like the plastic bag tax and would ideally be something like £1 on a pack of bacon, £2 on an industrialised chicken and £5 on an industrialised turkey, etc.

Revenues would go to the social welfare and healthcare sectors.

Thoughts?

No way would I support this. This is just too much of an increase and will affect the poorest and middle to poor economies the worst - such as those that are already struggling as it is. Also the figures that you suggest are far too steep as well - for the supermarket that my parents go to, this would mean doubling the cost of bacon and chickens - which would be completely unsustainable for us.
What would be a better solution is to have a much smaller increase on the price of all meat items, to ensure that good animal welfare is a high priority. Abolishing caged eggs in favor of free range eggs etc, as it means that the chickens have a better life.

This, among other things, is why I would never vote on the Greens even if my life depended on it.
(edited 5 years ago)
My own book learnin' from my university years.

A lot of land isn't ideal for growing food for human consumption but can still be used to sustain livestock, produce food for animals, etc. You can get more calories and nutrients for an omnivorous or vegetarian diet per acre of land than you can with a vegan diet overall.

There are also foods popular among vegans, such as avocado and various nuts, than require very inefficient quantities of water to sustain mass production.

Agreed about avocado, it's a destructive food to produce on the current large scales.

The world needs numerous innovations around food production to efficiently feed all the people, things such as agroforestry.

Many of the pressures on land use arise from the vast monocultures supplying the meat industry with feed, particularly corn and soya. If less beef in particular was eaten, this land could be partly rewilded and partly devoted to intelligent low-input crops.

The land devoted to beef and dairy production is key, other meatstock pressures less so.
Original post by spotify95
No way would I support this. This is just too much of an increase and will affect the poorest and middle to poor economies the worst - such as those that are already struggling as it is. Also the figures that you suggest are far too steep as well - for the supermarket that my parents go to, this would mean doubling the cost of bacon and chickens - which would be completely unsustainable for us.
What would be a better solution is to have a much smaller increase on the price of all meat items, to ensure that good animal welfare is a high priority. Abolishing caged eggs in favor of free range eggs etc, as it means that the chickens have a better life.

This, among other things, is why I would never vote on the Greens even if my life depended on it.

We also need to consider the situation of the global poor, priced out because much of the world's crop production goes to feeding meat animals. These are the desperately poor, not the intermediate poor of the developed countries.

A reduction in the quantity of protein derived from meat and in particular beef and pork would be beneficial to the poor and well off alike and not the threat you make out.
Original post by tomahawker314
What if I don't give a damn about animal welfare and consider there to be more pressing environmental concerns such as energy production. We need more nuclear power stations not paying a bit more for a fantastic source of protein, seriously what is the issue with chicken?

Chicken is less of an issue than beef and dairy, but it is still an issue.

The contribution of meat rearing to global warming is probably around the 15% mark, which is almost as much as transportation. So it does matter to the environment.
I'm meat free but I'm unsure as to whether this is a good idea. At first it seems all right but the practicality... 🤷*♀️
Agreed about avocado, it's a destructive food to produce on the current large scales.

The world needs numerous innovations around food production to efficiently feed all the people, things such as agroforestry.

Many of the pressures on land use arise from the vast monocultures supplying the meat industry with feed, particularly corn and soya. If less beef in particular was eaten, this land could be partly rewilded and partly devoted to intelligent low-input crops.

The land devoted to beef and dairy production is key, other meatstock pressures less so.

Well, no, like I said, there's a lot of land that can be used to sustain livestock (feed them, etc.) that cannot efficiently be used to grow food for humans. It would actually be an inefficient use of total land to cut out meat and dairy from food production for that reason.

Granted, sustainable and efficient sources of feed aren't always used, but that could eventually be corrected through prioritisation of resources and smarter use of land (i.e. don't use land and food to feed cattle if it could provide more food for humans overall.) But that goes both directions - don't use land to inefficiently grow veg for humans when it could more efficiently rear livestock and actually produce more food.
noone will take away my salami :smile:

veganism? thank you, next
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
noone will take away my salami :smile:

veganism? thank you, next

😂😂 Meat? Thank you, next

It's 2019 tho.
I'd consider cutting down, but I don't want to remove it from my diet completely. What's happening with the lab grown meat? Hopefully that isn't too far away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending