The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Geography 2019 / 2020 ?

Anyone else applied or got an offer?

I heard back a couple weeks ago (Geography BA)

Obviously pleased because the course and uni are amazing, but slightly worried about the low student satisfaction and rumoured lack of social life. I think I'll go to the offer-holder day and see how I feel!

What are your own thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Waiting to hear back! Hopefully good news!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by a.dislikes.exams

Obviously pleased because the course and uni are amazing, but slightly worried about the low student satisfaction and rumoured lack of social life. I think I'll go to the offer-holder day and see how I feel!

Hi, I’m still waiting to hear from LSE. Do you mind if I ask what your predicted/achieved grades are? I’m applying to the geography BA with AAA.
Original post by a.dislikes.exams

I've received an offer for Geography!!
I am also slightly worried about the social life aspect but I think for me the main thing is to enjoy the course??
Have you already booked onto the offer day? I haven't heard abt it yet?
Reply 4
Original post by lechomage
I've received an offer for Geography!!
I am also slightly worried about the social life aspect but I think for me the main thing is to enjoy the course??
Have you already booked onto the offer day? I haven't heard abt it yet?

Congrats!!! Are you going to firm it? I’ve got an offer for ucl geography international but I’m still waiting for lse. What are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?:smile:
Original post by Iasonas
Congrats!!! Are you going to firm it? I’ve got an offer for ucl geography international but I’m still waiting for lse. What are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?:smile:

Thank you!! Congrats for UCL!
Of course - my predicted grades are A (French), A (Geography), A* (English Lit) and I got A* for EPQ.
I am 99% sure I'll firm it (unless I love Durham on the offer day!)
Where else have you applied?
Reply 6
Thank you!! Congrats for UCL!
Of course - my predicted grades are A (French), A (Geography), A* (English Lit) and I got A* for EPQ.
I am 99% sure I'll firm it (unless I love Durham on the offer day!)
Where else have you applied?

Wow, great predicted grades! I took french too! I’ve got offers from Bristol for geography with study in Europe, and for European studies at kings. I’m waiting on lse and Warwick, but I’m on a gap year at the moment so it’s a little less stressful. I got AAA in my a levels so I’ve only just met the requirements. How about you?😃
Original post by Iasonas
Wow, great predicted grades! I took french too! I’ve got offers from Bristol for geography with study in Europe, and for European studies at kings. I’m waiting on lse and Warwick, but I’m on a gap year at the moment so it’s a little less stressful. I got AAA in my a levels so I’ve only just met the requirements. How about you?😃

They are so good! Respect - French is definitely the A-level I find most difficult haha. I have offers from Durham, Manchester with international study, Kings, LSE and Leeds with year abroad!
I feel like lse focus more on the personal statement than grades and you've already met the grades so hopefully you'll get an offer! Would your study in Europe be in France then?
Reply 8
They are so good! Respect - French is definitely the A-level I find most difficult haha. I have offers from Durham, Manchester with international study, Kings, LSE and Leeds with year abroad!
I feel like lse focus more on the personal statement than grades and you've already met the grades so hopefully you'll get an offer! Would your study in Europe be in France then?

Yes I think so, and same I was the first year doing the new a levels, but french was by far the hardest for me. You have some great offers! I’d be happy to help if you have any questions about french/geography. Wishing you all the best!
Original post by Iasonas
Yes I think so, and same I was the first year doing the new a levels, but french was by far the hardest for me. You have some great offers! I’d be happy to help if you have any questions about french/geography. Wishing you all the best!

Thank you so much!! Hope LSE and Warwick get back to you soon! :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you so much!! Hope LSE and Warwick get back to you soon! :smile:

Hi, is there a FB group chat for geography?
Reply 11
ok guys im predicted A*A*B am i basically done for cos ive been crying about it for the longest time this summer.
Reply 12
Original post by Lelux
ok guys im predicted A*A*B am i basically done for cos ive been crying about it for the longest time this summer.

Are you wanting to apply for geography at lse? 🙂
Reply 13
Original post by LH2327
Are you wanting to apply for geography at lse? 🙂

yes
Reply 14
Original post by Lelux
yes

You’ll need to get your teachers to predict you higher. Lse won’t consider you if you’re a grade below the requirements. Alternatively you could take a year out and apply with your achieved grades
Reply 15
Original post by LH2327
You’ll need to get your teachers to predict you higher. Lse won’t consider you if you’re a grade below the requirements. Alternatively you could take a year out and apply with your achieved grades

o wow you serious... my school is really strict and do not change grades no matter what jesus im kinda done for..., would you think if i applied for the environment course with AAB i would have a better chance of getting in? i was thinking of that in the first place but for geography theres a 63% chance of getting in while for the environmental course its only a 23% chance. I know this is a dumb way to think about it but i really want to go LSE and geography is my speciality.
Reply 16
Original post by Lelux
o wow you serious... my school is really strict and do not change grades no matter what jesus im kinda done for..., would you think if i applied for the environment course with AAB i would have a better chance of getting in? i was thinking of that in the first place but for geography theres a 63% chance of getting in while for the environmental course its only a 23% chance. I know this is a dumb way to think about it but i really want to go LSE and geography is my speciality.

Yeah you would have a good shot for the AAB courses. The offer rate for geography was 63% this year but 34% the year before so I think it really depends. They might give you the offer but then expect you to get AAA on results day. I think that’s all the advice I can give regarding predicted grades.

With your personal statement, make sure you tailor it to the LSE geography course. Include some of the content covered in the modules in your ps. The modules you can choose are here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/undergraduate.htm

(Go to the GY section)

Hope this helps🙂
Reply 17
Original post by LH2327
Yeah you would have a good shot for the AAB courses. The offer rate for geography was 63% this year but 34% the year before so I think it really depends. They might give you the offer but then expect you to get AAA on results day. I think that’s all the advice I can give regarding predicted grades.

With your personal statement, make sure you tailor it to the LSE geography course. Include some of the content covered in the modules in your ps. The modules you can choose are here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/undergraduate.htm

(Go to the GY section)

Hope this helps🙂

Thanks a lot omg. basically i was doing some research and found out that the average offer an applicant achieves is A*A*A in chemistry, maths and further maths for environment and development which seems really weird to me?? should i still bother applying?
Reply 18
Original post by Lelux
Thanks a lot omg. basically i was doing some research and found out that the average offer an applicant achieves is A*A*A in chemistry, maths and further maths for environment and development which seems really weird to me?? should i still bother applying?

Yeah that seems very high. Some of the smaller AAB courses only have a few places (some as little as 10) so when even just 90 apply it can really increase the competition. Honestly I would go for geography. If you demonstrate that you're a good candidate for lse then they will definitely consider you. Good luck
Reply 19
Original post by LH2327
Yeah that seems very high. Some of the smaller AAB courses only have a few places (some as little as 10) so when even just 90 apply it can really increase the competition. Honestly I would go for geography. If you demonstrate that you're a good candidate for lse then they will definitely consider you. Good luck

thanks so much, so sorry for asking so many questions im such an indecisive person! so i should apply geography at LSE and can i expect to get an offer but that entails i would need to raise my B to an A in my real exams? also my ps is mainly based on how the environment and economy can integrate and co-exist, is that similar to the geography modules covered?

Quick Reply

Latest