How much do GCSE's matter for university

Watch
ambrosewith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Let's say I want to study law, and my humanities (English, history etc.) are very strong at GCSE's, but my maths and sciences are weaker, let's say around the 6-7 boundary, would I be denied a place because of a GCSE which has nothing to do with the course I want to study?
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you apply for universities they don't really care too much about GCSEs. For instance, even UCL only asks for a Grade B (Grade 6) in English Language, and does not even mention the sciences or maths for Law. The higher the better however grade 6-7 would be sufficient in Maths and Science.

A-levels will be what the universities will pay 99% of their attention to.
ambrosewith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
When you apply for universities they don't really care too much about GCSEs. For instance, even UCL only asks for a Grade B (Grade 6) in English Language, and does not even mention the sciences or maths for Law. The higher the better however grade 6-7 would be sufficient in Maths and Science.

A-levels will be what the universities will pay 99% of their attention to.

thanks a lot for your reply, I will bear that in mind
JosephCiderBwoy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GCSE's matter to an extent. Let's consider 2 scenarios:

Oxbridge:
They prefer students with a strong GCSE profile. I got 9 grades in total, of which 6 were A-A* (the others were 2B's and a C). Compared to some of my friends or other applicants who got 13 A*'s, my results weren't typically 'Oxbridge standard', but it's possible to get interviews or places without squeaky clean scores. Keep in mind that the amount of a certain grade determines your overall score. Also, note that Cambridge heavily discriminates based on UMS marks, so you could get 90/100 for an A* but someone who got 98/100 would likely get chosen over you. It matters at Oxford too, but my sister knows someone there who's highest grades were only A's. They consider admission test scores and written work, as well as your personal statement and mock results (probably from 1st year exams), so it's not the deciding factor. But to be on the safe side, you must realise that Oxbridge prefer a nice selection of A-A* grades.

Non-Oxbridge:
Don't assume that GCSE's don't matter elsewhere. Universities of equal prestige and expertise, such as Durham, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Bristol etc. are looking for good GCSE's, but they are full of Oxbridge rejects, so that means people who've gotten 13A*'s still apply and even those with no A*'s. To be honest, all exams matter, but of course you don't get to uni with just GCSE's, but you need to show you're a consistent high achiever.

Hope that helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed