Any books I can read related to Biology which I can read? Watch

ShoaibK01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I’m looking to read any Biology related books which I can possibly find at my local library or I may be able to buy? These books have to be at an A level standard or pre-degree standard as I’m currently an A level student. This is for my personal statement in the future.

The fields I’m most interested in is
Biochemistry, mainly biological molecules and molecular biology for example, the human genome and cells.
I’m also interested in human biology such as how substances are transported in animals.

Does anyone recommend and books? Thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
upbeat4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you're into blood, I reccomend a book called Nine Pints
em1602
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Try “How we live and why we die, the secret lives of cells” by Lewis Wolpert
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ShoaibK01)
Hi, I’m looking to read any Biology related books which I can possibly find at my local library or I may be able to buy? These books have to be at an A level standard or pre-degree standard as I’m currently an A level student. This is for my personal statement in the future.

The fields I’m most interested in is
Biochemistry, mainly biological molecules and molecular biology for example, the human genome and cells.
I’m also interested in human biology such as how substances are transported in animals.

Does anyone recommend and books? Thanks.
Here are some great books of A’level to undergraduate biology!

1) Biological Science by Keeton and Gould. A very thick book packed with all aspects of biology that will help both with A level and your first and second undergraduate years!

2) Molecular Biology of the Cell, by Alberts et al. An amazing thick book about everything there is to know about the cell, both plant and animal. Gene control and gene regulation, cell membrane structure, cytoskeleton, metabolism. Highly recommended. Theboom is a big pricey but I’m sure there are older editions on Amazon or eBay.

3) Genetic analysis, by Griffith’s et al. A great book on molecular biology, classical Mendelian genetics, gene structure, gene cloning etc. Just about everything you want to know about genetics and moloecular biology befor goung into depth on specific topics.

4) Gene cloning by TA Brown. A nice smaller book on the techniques in gene cloning.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 2 months ago
OxFossil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Leaving textbooks aside, popular science books which are both authoritative (for a PS) and stimulating enough to enjoy might include:

Nick Lane's books are very good - he's a serious research academic who can write in a popular style well. "Power, Sex, Suicide" is about mitochondria and is packed with insights into a whole range of subjects, both at the level of cell biochemistry and whole organism functioning. "The Vital Question" is a discussion of the origin of life from a biochemical point of view, also excellent. Both would work well in a PS, imho.

Then microbiome is a hot topic of research and development atm. Ed Yong's "I Contain Multitudes" is a stimulating introduction with good references for more technical info.

For all biology, it is important to have a good grasp of evolution. I like Neil Shubin's "Your Inner Fish".
Last edited by OxFossil; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads