The Student Room Group

Durham vs UCL ??

I've got offers from both but was wondering which one people think would have a better student life and overall experience?
The courses are pretty much equally good (I've applied for archaeology and anthropology) so the only main difference would be student experience.
The grades are also the same - AAB
The student life will be very different at each of them, although not one necessarily better- it’ll just be personal preference. Durham is very quiet, no massive nightclubs etc but has got the personal community feeling with the colleges who’ll put events on for students. It will also be much cheaper. UCL in comparison is obviously in London, so will have a big nightclub scene if you want it, and possibly more to do during the day than Durham too, but much more expensive and some people find London almost too busy for university. They’re also opposite ends of the county so maybe factor in distance from home if that’s important for you. But ultimately, both will have a good student experience, they will just be quite different from each other :smile:
There's no one right answer - it really depends what you're looking for in a student experience. What are your priorities?
Durham probably has a different mix of students to UCL. To put it to you honestly, Durham is not a particularly diverse university, in terms of both ethnicity and social class. I'd imagine UCL to have a more diverse mix of students, so if that's what you'd like, maybe go there. Durham also has a large majority of liberal arts and languages students, with relatively few science students and no students at all studying the vocational sciences (medicine, pharmacy); however this would probably be a good thing for you as you study archaeology and anthropology. In terms of formal events, Durham has a lot of elegant formal events and does have more of a close-knit feel due to socializing within a college. I'm not sure about UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending