PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone! :hi:

I'm currently completing my PhD applications to start in September/October 2019, and I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or even just thinking about applying.

It would be really interesting to know what people want to research and how your applications are progressing.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)

I'm currently completing my PhD applications to start in September/October 2019, and I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or even just thinking about applying.

It would be really interesting to know what people want to research and how your applications are progressing.
Have you seen the Cambridge thread in the Postgrad forum? There's an active thread for this year's applicants and you can see how they are doing and what they are anguishing about (mostly the wrong stuff!). I don't know if a 2019 one has started yet, but if so, it will be in there.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Have you seen the Cambridge thread in the Postgrad forum? There's an active thread for this year's applicants and you can see how they are doing and what they are anguishing about (mostly the wrong stuff!). I don't know if a 2019 one has started yet, but if so, it will be in there.
I'm not applying to Oxford or Cambridge though... :erm:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck, all.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not applying to Oxford or Cambridge though... :erm:
Doh! Sorry, I dot so frequently between the PG forum and the Cambridge forum I lost where I was when I saw your post

Of course, the world does not revolve around all things Tab - I must remember that! :rolleyes:
PhD123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi,

I'm also in the process of applying for PhD programmes for 2019/2020.

So far, I've applied to Cambridge and King's College London. I still want to apply to Oxford and Bristol. My field is law.
discogirl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello

I am applying for PhD study to start this September. I'm also applying for funding.

My area is Media and Communications, specifically Journalism.

So far I am applying to Cardiff and Birmingham. One application in and done, another on going. Just the application is hard work! Good luck to everyone.
Coffeealways
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all! I won’t finish my MA until September this year but I want to head onto a PhD. Ideally funded of course but I’d totally take a(nother) loan if needed. Can’t imagine not studying! My area is social sciences with my MA in crime and justice but as I’m an OU student the whole PhD process is baffling to me!Anyone know any easy to understand resources for the process I need to go through.
AHCambiz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey

I applied for Ph.D. in Business Studies/Management at UCL, HEC Paris, and Stockholm School of Economics. Submitted mid-December 2018, still waiting anxiously. There don't seem to be many people applying to programmes in my field of study on the forum though.

Best of luck to you all!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coffeealways)
Hi all! I won’t finish my MA until September this year but I want to head onto a PhD. Ideally funded of course but I’d totally take a(nother) loan if needed. Can’t imagine not studying! My area is social sciences with my MA in crime and justice but as I’m an OU student the whole PhD process is baffling to me!Anyone know any easy to understand resources for the process I need to go through.
Take a look at findaphd.com

There are lots of good articles on there, but of course the application process differs slightly depending on the funding source or university you're applying to.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by AHCambiz)
Hey

I applied for Ph.D. in Business Studies/Management at UCL, HEC Paris, and Stockholm School of Economics. Submitted mid-December 2018, still waiting anxiously. There don't seem to be many people applying to programmes in my field of study on the forum though.

Best of luck to you all!
I'm also applying for an area that doesn't have a lot of publicity, so hopefully that might increase our odds. I'm submitting at the end of this month (my deadlines are later than average), so I have a bit of time to get things polished up before sending it.
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I won't be applying this year (doing a slightly different second Masters first!) but I'm hoping to be in this position this time next year. Honestly, I'd probably hope to be further along in the process by this time as I'd be looking at Arts/Humanities research and God knows how hard it is to find funding for that!

Good luck to everyone applying. What are your proposed research projects going to be?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
I won't be applying this year (doing a slightly different second Masters first!) but I'm hoping to be in this position this time next year. Honestly, I'd probably hope to be further along in the process by this time as I'd be looking at Arts/Humanities research and God knows how hard it is to find funding for that!

Good luck to everyone applying. What are your proposed research projects going to be?
Mine is a development on my master's dissertation, as it's an area I'm really interested in and is connected to both my undergrad and master's degrees. As I haven't submitted my application yet, I won't go into detail about it. :ninjagirl:
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine is a development on my master's dissertation, as it's an area I'm really interested in and is connected to both my undergrad and master's degrees. As I haven't submitted my application yet, I won't go into detail about it. :ninjagirl:
Ha, fair enough! That's what I'm hoping to do (build on my MA dissertation). Well either that or something completely different. My problem is I have about five different ideas! Hoping this next year will help me whittle them down somewhat.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
Ha, fair enough! That's what I'm hoping to do (build on my MA dissertation). Well either that or something completely different. My problem is I have about five different ideas! Hoping this next year will help me whittle them down somewhat.
I found that once I looked at the literature/methodologies it helped me narrow it down, especially as it needs to be a project that's feasible in only 3/4 years. If there's not enough literature, bad idea. If there's already loads of literature in that specific area, bad idea. If the only methodologies that would work would be too simple/take too long/require too much training/wouldn't match the ideals of the funding body, then bad idea.

Sometimes it really is a process of elimination.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm applying in psychology at a local university.
Lmort003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied for psychology PhD at Goldsmiths and had an interview this week. I’m now waiting (im)patiently for the outcome.

Anyone else waiting?
Last edited by Lmort003; 1 year ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lmort003)
I applied for psychology PhD at Goldsmiths and had an interview this week. I’m now waiting (un)patiently for the outcome.

Anyone else waiting?
Ooh how did you find the interview? I'm submitting my application in a few days, my DTP has a really late deadline compared to others.
Lmort003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ooh how did you find the interview? I'm submitting my application in a few days, my DTP has a really late deadline compared to others.
It was ok, the questions were straightforward and were intended to help me show how I was a good candidate. I found the panel (of 3) really friendly, and approachable. All in all it was a positive experience and I came out feeling that even if it was a no, I hadn't said anything silly that would lose me the position.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lmort003)
I applied for psychology PhD at Goldsmiths and had an interview this week. I’m now waiting (im)patiently for the outcome.

Anyone else waiting?
Good luck with your application! I hope the result is good.

Funding at this level can be a bit disperate so there's no one place to look. It's possibly best to be in touch with any potential supervisors about this in case they know of any vacancies! That said, a lot of doctoral students get funding through the research councils. We've got a bit more information on those here. https://www.gold.ac.uk/graduate-school/funding/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (338)
66.4%
No (171)
33.6%

Watched Threads