The Student Room Group

PhD Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Hey thanks for responding, may I ask you how you were notified ? was this your department sending out a notification or directly from White Rose? thanks
Original post by Harunoyuki
It's Sheffield for me
Original post by sc34389
Hey thanks for responding, may I ask you how you were notified ? was this your department sending out a notification or directly from White Rose? thanks

No worries, of course. It was the scholarships office at Sheffield. I've never had any direct contact with the DTP - it's all been through Sheffield. I applied for 1+3 so I've been asked to now apply for the MA in Social Research and get my PhD offer deferred until 2020 before they can issue me with a formal funding offer. But, as I said, I'll likely be turning it down.
Thanks for letting me know, I am yet to hear back so hopefully today or tomorrow, or perhaps AQM has a separate deadline. Are you planning to take on another offer at another university or just change of mind ?
Original post by sc34389
Thanks for letting me know, I am yet to hear back so hopefully today or tomorrow, or perhaps AQM has a separate deadline. Are you planning to take on another offer at another university or just change of mind ?

No worries, and good luck! Apparently the committee only met yesterday, so it's possible that they're getting in touch with 1+3 people quickly because of the need to apply for the MA Social Research course first. Yes, I'm lucky to have at least one other ESRC offer, so will likely be taking that (or another) up instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Congratulations you did very very well, I hope you pick the best fit for you and thrive =)
Original post by Harunoyuki
No worries, and good luck! Apparently the committee only met yesterday, so it's possible that they're getting in touch with 1+3 people quickly because of the need to apply for the MA Social Research course first. Yes, I'm lucky to have at least one other ESRC offer, so will be likely be taking that (or another) up instead.
I found out a couple of days ago that I’m on a reserve list for AHRC scholarship, additional offers will be made in May and some people will withdraw in summer so if I haven’t heard from chase again by 30th June, I won’t have a studentship from them. Fingers crossed!
I’m still waiting to hear back from my ESRC application, was told I’ll hear back by end of May.

Congratulations to everyone who received offers! And all the best to those who haven’t, I hope things work out :smile:
Original post by googin1
I found out a couple of days ago that I’m on a reserve list for AHRC scholarship, additional offers will be made in May and some people will withdraw in summer so if I haven’t heard from chase again by 30th June, I won’t have a studentship from them. Fingers crossed!
I’m still waiting to hear back from my ESRC application, was told I’ll hear back by end of May.

Congratulations to everyone who received offers! And all the best to those who haven’t, I hope things work out :smile:

A few months of waiting then? :frown:
Yeah! I have other things to focus on thankfully so I'm not thinking about it constantly!
Original post by TomBomo
A few months of waiting then? :frown:
Hey there! Same thing for me, I have been told I am 7th on a reserve list from an AHRC scholarship that has made 27 offers.... Frustrating... I don't whether to hope or just give up.
Hey!

7th sounds promising! Don’t give up maybe but consider back-up options :smile:

Did they tell you which place you’re at on the list or did you ask?

Where did you apply to, and what are you hoping to study? :smile:
Original post by bex_nox
Hey there! Same thing for me, I have been told I am 7th on a reserve list from an AHRC scholarship that has made 27 offers.... Frustrating... I don't whether to hope or just give up.
Hey... thanks for cheering me up! I have an offer at the University of Reading, school of law. I called them and they told me I am 7th on the reserve list.... I think I was soooo close, but I am afraid not enough. I still hope, I have no back up plans.... I want to do this PhD... :frown:
Original post by googin1
Hey!

7th sounds promising! Don’t give up maybe but consider back-up options :smile:

Did they tell you which place you’re at on the list or did you ask?

Where did you apply to, and what are you hoping to study? :smile:
Original post by bex_nox
Hey... thanks for cheering me up! I have an offer at the University of Reading, school of law. I called them and they told me I am 7th on the reserve list.... I think I was soooo close, but I am afraid not enough. I still hope, I have no back up plans.... I want to do this PhD... :frown:

Do you know how many studentships there are? I presume quite a few if they gave out 27 offers. Lots of people apply to multiple unis/funding bodies, so they are bound to have at least a few drop outs. You're still really lucky to have made it on the reserve list; the DTP I applied to didn't even have one.
Hmmm, I bet they gave all the studentships possible to those 27, plus 3 collaborative doctorates, but I was competing in the student led one. Yes, I was lucky. I wasn't even competing for a full award because I don't meet their residential criterias, but I was just competing for an award that would cover my tuition fees. I wonder if there is anyone else like me in front of me on the reserve list. I can only go on with my life and see what happens...
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Do you know how many studentships there are? I presume quite a few if they gave out 27 offers. Lots of people apply to multiple unis/funding bodies, so they are bound to have at least a few drop outs. You're still really lucky to have made it on the reserve list; the DTP I applied to didn't even have one.
Firstly good job so far. Secondly accept the studentship, they do not grow on trees. I myself had a Ph.D studentship from a Russell League and do not recall many doors shut in my face after I completed.

You will find credentials of that kind are quite the passport. Cross the funding council bridge when you come to it.

Original post by captain_cabinets
I applied for funding to study at two different universities. At one, I've gone for ESRC funding, and at the other, I've gone for the university's own studentship.

I just got an email informing me that I have been awarded the studentship at latter of the two, which I'm thrilled about.

However, I'm not quite sure what to do if I also get offered the ESRC funding. As my first MA didn't include enough on research methods, I have been nominated for ESRC studentship on a 1+3 basis (i.e. I would have to do an MA in Research Methods before I can begin the PhD programme). As I have only just completed my first MA, doing another MA before I can begin my PhD isn't ideal, although I'm happy to do it if that's how I can get funding.

People have mentioned in passing to me that if I'm offered ESRC funding, I should accept it without question, as it opens so many doors to you. However, I was just wondering to what extent this is the case...? What would you do in my situation? (Of course, there's the added issue that I may have to make a decision on the offer I've already been made before I even hear back about the ESRC application, but I'm very much hoping this won't be the case!)

I should mention that the departments and supervisors at both are fantastic and are equally highly regarded in the field.
A lot of unis are shut for Easter now though so you probably won't hear anything until 22nd at the earliest, so realistically 25/26th.
No worries!

Aah okay, that sounds great, and I hope you get it! We’re all rooting for ya!
Original post by bex_nox
Hey guys,I’ve got a formal interview coming up at Bournemouth Uni for a PhD in Anthropology. I’ve come up with my own proposal and am thinking of self funding with help from the new PhD government student loan. Are there any good sources of funding which are worth applying to?
Thanks, let's hope for some luck :frown:
Original post by googin1
No worries!

Aah okay, that sounds great, and I hope you get it! We’re all rooting for ya!
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Hey guys,I’ve got a formal interview coming up at Bournemouth Uni for a PhD in Anthropology. I’ve come up with my own proposal and am thinking of self funding with help from the new PhD government student loan. Are there any good sources of funding which are worth applying to?

There are studentships available (that provide tuition fees and a stipend to live off of) but most, if not all, deadlines for these have closed now for 2019 entry. You also need to meet minimum academic criteria for these too.

If you want to supplement your own funds, you can always contact organisations/trusts/charities relevant to your subject area to see if they will contribute anything towards your project's costs/tuition fees etc. It may not be a lot (maximum a couple of hundred £ in most cases), but it's better than nothing.
Anyone heard anything new? I'm still interested to know how everyone gets on. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending