A series of GCSE events Watch

Pravi29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi! This is my Grow your Grades forum. Right now, my main concern is English. I am a 6 in Language and a 7 in Literature and I would like to achieve a 9.
Pravi29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pravi29)
Hi! This is my Grow your Grades forum. Right now, my main concern is English. I am a 6 in Language and a 7 in Literature and I would like to achieve a 9.
I would be pleased if anybody has any exemplar paragraphs and good ananlysis.
Pravi29
Rep:
?
Today I did two essays for English literature and some biology and chemistry!
Toastiekid
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Today I did two essays for English literature and some biology and chemistry!
well done and good luck
which subjects are you doing for gcses?
NetNeutrality
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
same, i got a 5 in lang (1 off a 6) and 9 in lit in year 10, but i got a 7 in the year 11 mocks (we didnt do lang in our mocks), and now ive pretty much lost all confidence in english lmao
foolishstrawbery
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I got an 8 in both English lit and lang (AQA), so not quite a 9 but maybe I could still give some advice. For my language exam what I did in the persuasive writing paper was incorporate multiple genres in to my essay i.e. I had an extract from a speech, blog, letter, etc all in my persuasive writing piece but it was overall in the correct genre because they were just extracts. (Can't remember what the question was (newspaper I think?) but I did the 2017 exam.) Another thing, I remember that timing was really hard to do so what I recommend is to do the questions with the most marks first. I think the order I did them in was 5,1,4,3,2 a bit weird but it you're most tired at the end so do the longest question with the most marks when you have the most adrenaline, question 1 is so easy its not worth loosing marks on and so on. For literature, make sure you incorporate context into every single paragraph, it's quite easy to learn and applicable to any question. Hope this helps one way or another good luck!
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by foolishstrawbery)
Hi, I got an 8 in both English lit and lang (AQA), so not quite a 9 but maybe I could still give some advice. For my language exam what I did in the persuasive writing paper was incorporate multiple genres in to my essay i.e. I had an extract from a speech, blog, letter, etc all in my persuasive writing piece but it was overall in the correct genre because they were just extracts. (Can't remember what the question was (newspaper I think?) but I did the 2017 exam.) Another thing, I remember that timing was really hard to do so what I recommend is to do the questions with the most marks first. I think the order I did them in was 5,1,4,3,2 a bit weird but it you're most tired at the end so do the longest question with the most marks when you have the most adrenaline, question 1 is so easy its not worth loosing marks on and so on. For literature, make sure you incorporate context into every single paragraph, it's quite easy to learn and applicable to any question. Hope this helps one way or another good luck!
ah we do edexcel for lang so i have no idea what your questions are lmao, but i found an issue with timing too, like i wrote like 2 points on the last reading q (cant remember how much it was worth but quite a few i think), so i that i had time to do the writing part
Pravi29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
well done and good luck
which subjects are you doing for gcses?

Thanks!

Maths
Further maths
Triple Science
Geography
Engineering
French
R.S
English language
English literature
Pravi29
Rep:
?
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
same, i got a 5 in lang (1 off a 6) and 9 in lit in year 10, but i got a 7 in the year 11 mocks (we didnt do lang in our mocks), and now ive pretty much lost all confidence in english lmao
Me too. My teacher's target is always 'more analysis' and even when I analyse a lot, she still puts the same, A 9 in year 10! That's good. Maybe it's because you did a different text in the mocks. I got a 5 in Year 10 for Inspector Calls and a 8 for Romeo and Juliet and a 5 for Poetry in Year 11 mocks which equated to a 7 in the end.
Toastiekid
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks!

Maths
Further maths
Triple Science
Geography
Engineering
French
R.S
English language
English literature
Engineering:gasp: that must be cool
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Me too. My teacher's target is always 'more analysis' and even when I analyse a lot, she still puts the same, A 9 in year 10! That's good. Maybe it's because you did a different text in the mocks. I got a 5 in Year 10 for Inspector Calls and a 8 for Romeo and Juliet and a 5 for Poetry in Year 11 mocks which equated to a 7 in the end.
we did macbeth in year 10, for the mocks we did an inspector calls and jekyll and hyde. really disappointed with aic, i thought it was my best text lol. and thanks!
Pravi29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Engineering:gasp: that must be cool
It is fun but we have just finished coursework and only now are we going to prepare for the exam.
Pravi29
Rep:
?
we did macbeth in year 10, for the mocks we did an inspector calls and jekyll and hyde. really disappointed with aic, i thought it was my best text lol. and thanks!
You're welcome. I thought poetry was my best section too until I scored 19/30 in the mocks!
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're welcome. I thought poetry was my best section too until I scored 19/30 in the mocks!
i did better in poetry than i expected lol but we done in year 10 too
Pravi29
Rep:
?
i did better in poetry than i expected lol but we done in year 10 too
Well done!
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well done!
thank you
Pravi29
Rep:
?
thank you
You're welcome!
Pravi29
Rep:
?
So, today I did three creative writing essay! School in two days!
Pravi29
Rep:
?
I got feedback on the creative writing essay I wrote last. It said it was 'pretty good' so I feel happy but I was not provided with a mark. I feel as if I am improving because ideas are flowing into my mind faster. Whether those ideas are actually good is another matter I recently just did a poetry comparison so I feel happy about that too. As well as that I did a practice maths paper Unfortunately, it is the last day of the holidays.
Pravi29
Rep:
?
Happy belated new year by the way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20.06%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (132)
40.12%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.82%

Watched Threads