do bacterial cells have ribosomes or not? Watch

sadasdasfsfafg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
it doesnt state in the AQA spec or the CGP bio guide, so in my exam, should i say bacterial cells also have ribosomes?????
sarafinha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't do AQA I do OCR but my cgp book says they do. Bacteria (prokaryotes) usually have a smaller ribosome than eukaryotes (animal and plant cells).
natasha4902
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it is a direct question asking, then yes, because bacterial cells do have ribosomes however as it isn’t in the revision guide, I don’t think it’s likely to come up. Are you doing gcse or a level? xx
MARYAM1234567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sadasdasfsfafg)
it doesnt state in the AQA spec or the CGP bio guide, so in my exam, should i say bacterial cells also have ribosomes?????
BACTERIAL cells have 70S ribosomes while humans or eukaryotes have 80S ribosomes..
in conclusion bacteria DO have ribosomes
sadasdasfsfafg
Rep:
?
(Original post by MARYAM1234567)
BACTERIAL cells have 70S ribosomes while humans or eukaryotes have 80S ribosomes..
in conclusion bacteria DO have ribosomes
so in my GCSE exam, shall i say they have it or not?
natasha4902
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So they do, because they do x
sadasdasfsfafg
Rep:
?
(Original post by natasha4902)
If it is a direct question asking, then yes, because bacterial cells do have ribosomes however as it isn’t in the revision guide, I don’t think it’s likely to come up. Are you doing gcse or a level? xx
gcse
MARYAM1234567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you say they have it
Mubzzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do aqa bio at a level, and yeah there's have smaller ribosomes
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, bacteria have ribosomes. Bacteria need to make proteins just as we do. As somebody else has already alluded to, bacteria have smaller 70s ribosomes composed of a 30s and a 50s subunit; eukaryotic cells have larger 80s ribosomes composed of a 40s and a 60s subunits.

Also, you are aware that revision guides are 'guides' and so don't necessarily contain every little bit of information that you are required to know? Revision guides are meant to supplement your revision.
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes they do. 70s ribosomes which are smaller than the 80s eukaryote ribosomes. Possibly because bacterial protein synthesis is simpler and less demanding than eukaryote protein synthesis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)