Am I studying a 'MICKEY Mouse' degree??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sotschi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I've got an offer for King's College London to study European Studies (German pathway).

This is the course description:

The European Studies (German pathway) BA degree course is split between European Studies modules and German-specific modules. You will study a range of required modules that include European politics, political economy, political thought, contemporary history, culture, economics, law, alongside of which you will focus on German politics, history, language and contemporary culture.

This degree is a four-year study course that is composed of optional and required modules totalling 450 credits. Each year, you will take modules totalling 120 credits, apart from your third year where you will take modules totaling 90 credits. Your third year of study will be in Germany at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, developing your modern language skills and deepening your understanding of German culture and attitudes towards Europe.

Is this degree well-respected? It is interdisciplinary so I'm worried I'll be studying small scraps of other subjects, although I will gain fluency in German. What do you think?
Sotschi
Rep:
?
Can someone help with this??
Aloha1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No as long as you are able to translate the degree into something practical.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds like any other political theory module tbf
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's just got a dumb name, like so many other things at Kings.
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trinculo)
It's just got a dumb name, like so many other things at Kings.
How do you mean? As in it doesn’t sound like a respectable degree? And why are you so negative about the uni?
Agent007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aloha1)
No as long as you are able to translate the degree into something practical.
The degree sounds worthwhile to you? I’m still waiting on the other unis I’ve applied to but kings is my first choice so far (I also have an offer for Geography with study in continental Europe at Bristol). Which would you choose out of the two?
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Agent007)
No
No what?...
Agent007
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sotschi)
No what?...
Crap, I mean Yes
Sotschi
Rep:
?
Crap, I mean Yes
So why do you think it’s a Mickey Mouse degree?
Aloha1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The degree sounds worthwhile to you? I’m still waiting on the other unis I’ve applied to but kings is my first choice so far (I also have an offer for Geography with study in continental Europe at Bristol). Which would you choose out of the two?
I believe that it largely relies upon whether you prefer politics or geography. However, I believe in terms of reputation Geography at Bristol is better than European Studies at KCL.
Sotschi
Rep:
?
Crap, I mean Yes
Hello? Excuse me??
Agent007
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So why do you think it’s a Mickey Mouse degree?
I don't see a LIKELY high paying job coming out from that tbh. Maybe a translator? I dunno.
Sotschi
Rep:
?
I don't see a LIKELY high paying job coming out from that tbh. Maybe a translator? I dunno.
Do you think I should go to Bristol for geography instead? I also take German as part of the degree
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think I should go to Bristol for geography instead? I also take German as part of the degree
Why are you asking for opinions from a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds?

Talk to some employers for industries that you are interested in working in.
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Deary me, this terminology populated by an inexperienced online community are in no position to brand degrees/undermine their value.

Don't be insecure... study what you're passionate about, get the grades and immerse yourself in the things you enjoy and you won't need to worry about your prospects.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't really have an opinion on the topic but the below shows the general information of what graduates get up to in terms of occupation and salary after the respective courses.

KCL:
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/empl...eturnTo/Search
Bristol:
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/empl...1718/ReturnTo/
Sotschi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
Deary me, this terminology populated by an inexperienced online community are in no position to brand degrees/undermine their value.

Don't be insecure... study what you're passionate about, get the grades and immerse yourself in the things you enjoy and you won't need to worry about your prospects.
Hi, I’ve already achieved my grades (AAA) and I’ve taken a gap year. I’m just concerned that the degree doesn’t seem like a respectable/traditional subject. It’s what I’d like to study the most, but does it seem like a worthwhile degree to you? Thanks for your help
Agent007
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imo you should look at both subjects and see which job prospects both have. Then compare their salary, what kind of job you'd be doing etc. But since I am a brutally honest person (which is both a blessing and a curse) if someone told me "Hi, my name's Karen and I'm studying European Studies at uni" I'd be like "WOT?".

Unless.... you have a CLEAR plan of what you want to do in life, and I mean a VERY CLEAR plan (almost foolproof) and European Studies is the only way to get there then go for it.

Spoiler:
Show

EDIT: I also come from a very academic home, so bear in mind that I was brought up with the belief that only STEM subjects will get you anywhere
Last edited by Agent007; 1 year ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (5)
13.51%
They've been reasonable (13)
35.14%
Not feeling great... (10)
27.03%
They are TERRIBLE! (9)