Complex numbers and their geometrical properties

Watch
AronAdamski
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
An ant walks forward one unit and then turns to the right by 2pi/9. It repeats this a further 3 times. Show that the distance of the ant from its initial position is sin(4pi/0)/sin(pi/9).

Can someone show me their approach?
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AronAdamski)
An ant walks forward one unit and then turns to the right by 2pi/9. It repeats this a further 3 times. Show that the distance of the ant from its initial position is sin(4pi/0)/sin(pi/9).

Can someone show me their approach?
It first walks 1 forward, then e^(2pi/9) then e^(4pi/9) then e^(6pi/9).
The position is given by the sum of all this.
Take its magnitude and you have the distance.
AronAdamski
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
It first walks 1 forward, then e^(2pi/9) then e^(4pi/9) then e^(6pi/9).
The position is given by the sum of all this.
Take its magnitude and you have the distance.
So you just add all of the complex numbers? I can't imagine how this would work.
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AronAdamski)
So you just add all of the complex numbers? I can't imagine how this would work.
It is vectors
The real part gives the x-displacement
The imaginary gives the y-displacement

Yes just add
the complex numbers behave like vectors

if you don't believe me then try it

say you go east by 2 then north by 1
your position is described by 2+i
Htx_x346
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
It is vectors
The real part gives the x-displacement
The imaginary gives the y-displacement

Yes just add
the complex numbers behave like vectors

if you don't believe me then try it

say you go east by 2 then north by 1
your position is described by 2+i
i know this is really late lol but would that just be (e^2pi/9)^4?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
i know this is really late lol but would that just be (e^2pi/9)^4?
No. That is 4 equal rotations without any stepping.
The problem is a unit step, then rotate, then unit step, then rotate.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 week ago
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
No. That is 4 equal rotations without any stepping.
The problem is a unit step, then rotate, then unit step, then rotate.
oh. hmmm.
but the magnitude is 1?

so would I have to add e^2pi/9 4 times?
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
oh. hmmm.
but the magnitude is 1?

Using complex numbers just makes the problem more complex that it needs to. You could get the answer by drawing a diagram and using trig
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
oh. hmmm.
but the magnitude is 1?

For the first point, you've just done demoivre. e^ix is a rotation by x. e^i4x is a rotation by 4x.
Have you sketched what you need to do?
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
For the first point, you've just done demoivre. e^ix is a rotation by x. e^i4x is a rotation by 4x.
Have you sketched what you need to do?
ah right. yeah i've sketched it.
So i need to sum e^0 then e^(2pi/9) then e^(4pi/9) then e^(6pi/9)...and that's it?

(Original post by Itsmikeysfault)
Using complex numbers just makes the problem more complex that it needs to. You could get the answer by drawing a diagram and using trig
this was from the complex numbers part of the textbook so im just trying to solve it using CN.
Last edited by Htx_x346; 1 week ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
ah right. yeah i've sketched it.
So i need to sum e^0 then e^(2pi/9) then e^(4pi/9) then e^(6pi/9)...and that's it?

this was from the complex numbers part of the textbook so im just trying to solve it using CN.
They want you to solve the problem by using complex numbers to represent translations and rotations. That sounds about right and you should note it is a simple geometric series so you can use the standard result.
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
They want you to solve the problem by using complex numbers to represent displacements and rotations. That sounds about right and you should note it is a simple geometric sequence.
thanks.
But would it not be slightly more tedious using the sum of geometric sequences equation in this case when you can just add them?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
thanks.
But would it not be slightly more tedious using the sum of geometric sequences equation in this case when you can just add them?
Id go for the series, but why not try both and see what you find out.
Its not going to be that long either way.

Hint is to think about the form of the answer.
tetrad4444
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
anyone know where the OP got the question from
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tetrad4444)
anyone know where the OP got the question from
It's a question from the edexcel further maths core pure 2 textbook
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Id go for the series, but why not try both and see what you find out.
Its not going to be that long either way.

Hint is to think about the form of the answer.
thanks

also, just to clarify, what exactly was the reason for (e^2pi/9)^4 being incorrect? thanks again
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
thanks

also, just to clarify, what exactly was the reason for (e^2pi/9)^4 being incorrect? thanks again
Its e^(i8pi/9). So a distance of 1 from the origin.
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Its e^(i8pi/9). So a distance of 1 from the origin.
thank you have a good evening
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Itsmikeysfault)
Can't see why using complex numbers makes it more complex, though obviously you can do it with straight geometry/trig. With complex numbers, after writing down the geometric series expression, you can "centre" both the numerator and denominator and pretty much write down the answer?
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Can't see why using complex numbers makes it more complex, though obviously you can do it with straight geometry/trig. With complex numbers, after writing down the geometric series expression, you can "centre" both the numerator and denominator and pretty much write down the answer?
I solved it both ways. Using trig was faster and required less thinking. Most further maths students would agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.59%
Okay (113)
29.27%
A bit lacking (145)
37.56%
Not good at all (91)
23.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise