gullkatt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in the second term of year 12 now and have been doing English Lit, Religious Studies, and Spanish. I've been really enjoying the first two, but not Spanish.

The thing is, it's not that I'm really bad at it, or that I don't like languages in general, it's just that for ages I've been really annoyed with myself that I picked Spanish for GCSE and not French or German (I only picked Spanish because this guy I liked was doing it as well, which was a really bad idea, don't ever do it).

I need a language at A Level to do the course I wanted to do at uni, but I'm really not enjoying the language because it isn't really relevant to anything in my life, e.g. I'm really into skiing, which both French and German are relevant for, but Spanish really isn't.

I've been considering trying to study French in my spare time and going along to some of the French lessons and speaking with the French students to see how proficient I can get by the time I get into year 13 because I honestly really can't stand Spanish because I'm just so mad at myself that I didn't pick French.

Is there any point in this, or will I just be completely wasting my time? Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? Much appreciated!
TheGoodStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!
I picked up an extra subject at the start of my second term in year 12 ( although I dropped it a week later as it was particularly boring )
All I did was talk to the head of my sixth form and he sorted everything out. Although, if I wouldn’t have had an A* in that subject at GCSE, he probably would’ve rejected my request, as it’s a LOT to catch up, but I’m not sure this applies as much to languages.
So, if I was you, I’d go and have a talk to your head of sixth form/college and explain your situation to him.
gullkatt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply! An idea I had was to carry on studying Spanish in lessons and with work and everything, while studying French as according to the A Level curriculum sort of in my free time, and then at the end of year 12 taking the mock alongside the French students to see how I'd progressed? The thing about languages is that they're going to be somewhat beneficial even if I don't have a particular qualification in it, I just hoped this way I might be able to spur myself on in Spanish as well knowing I'm getting to learn French?

The main problem is my timetabling issue- I have a spare free or two at the same time as the French lessons and could possibly sit in them if I wasn't too much of a distraction. I just wondered if you thought any of this was a good idea or if I'm just wasting my time? I want to have some sort of clear idea before I speak to the head of sixth form so she knows I have a reasonable plan for the future. Thanks for everything!
TheGoodStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No Problem!
I don’t think you’re wasting your time if you genuinely want to study French at A level. If you think you’re capable of studying it at home, go for it. But if you think being taught French in a proper lesson would make you learn better, do that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (36)
18.37%
No one else does (65)
33.16%
I'm embarrassed about my background (18)
9.18%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (67)
34.18%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.53%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.55%

Watched Threads