How can I go about trying to change at work? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I work with a small team as a newly qualified healthcare professional. My office has people from different professions in but the team I work with consists of about 2 - 3 people. My problem is despite being older than most people on here I've always been extremely quiet especially for a woman. Its resulted in me having difficulty making friends, I have no banter etc. Its as though I have have to think throughly before I speak whereas with others speaking becomes natural. Anyway people think I'm a bit odd as I'm so quiet. Several months after I started I remember one team meeting I didn't say a word (there were only 4 of s there lol). Its mainly because I couldn't think of anything to say, everyone else was already saying the stuff I was thinking. I appear very disinterested and demotivated expecially for a newly qualified 'healthcare professional'.

When I'm in the office at the computer I think that I appear very miserable as I'm very serious and don't smile. I really want to change but Ive been there 8 months now and they will already view me as odd. some of them meet up outside work etc but they don't know me. Theres not that much to know about me, I live with parents which I'm ashamed of.

I just wanted advice, if I was to change and be 'normal' how can I go about this? I can't just go in and be talkative as that would be a sudden change and very weird. So how can I go about this?
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you spend break/lunch times around your colleagues? Is there a staff room/kitchen that you can spend breaks/lunch in and talk to people? I'm not a talker at all as well, yet that's the way I've spoken to colleagues in an office. And through basic conversation there you can learn which people have common humour or interests and you can slowly build up your relationships with them from there. Hopefully, once you are more settled with knowing them personally you will speak your mind more freely in groups.

Also, when you are sitting at your desk and working don't worry about looking serious or not smiling - it's completely normal to look bland or serious when you're at a desk, even if you're content with what you're doing.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Ben878 (LfL))
Do you spend break/lunch times around your colleagues? Is there a staff room/kitchen that you can spend breaks/lunch in and talk to people? I'm not a talker at all as well, yet that's the way I've spoken to colleagues in an office. And through basic conversation there you can learn which people have common humour or interests and you can slowly build up your relationships with them from there. Hopefully, once you are more settled with knowing them personally you will speak your mind more freely in groups.

Also, when you are sitting at your desk and working don't worry about looking serious or not smiling - it's completely normal to look bland or serious when you're at a desk, even if you're content with what you're doing.
Thanks, we tend to take our lunch breaks at different times but yes im trying to ask them more about their lives during breaks etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%
Jazz (33)
3.78%
Classical (49)
5.62%
Hip-Hop (167)
19.15%