ginevrafanshawe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I’m making my A-level decisions this month and although I was previously sure about what I wanted to do, someone said I should take classics at A-level in order to do it at uni.

I know it isn’t a requirement, but if it’s offered at my school and I don’t take it, will that look bad?

My current decisions are maths, further maths, history, and Latin, but I could change history for classics. The only reason I haven’t is because it seems a lot like the sources part of my Latin GCSE, which I didn’t really enjoy.
(Side note: is my above combination good for applying to classics in general? People have said it’s weird to have half maths when the other half isn’t something similar eg sciences)

Thanks to anyone who replies!
GeniusOfEarl100
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ginevrafanshawe)
Hi, I’m making my A-level decisions this month and although I was previously sure about what I wanted to do, someone said I should take classics at A-level in order to do it at uni.

I know it isn’t a requirement, but if it’s offered at my school and I don’t take it, will that look bad?

My current decisions are maths, further maths, history, and Latin, but I could change history for classics. The only reason I haven’t is because it seems a lot like the sources part of my Latin GCSE, which I didn’t really enjoy.
(Side note: is my above combination good for applying to classics in general? People have said it’s weird to have half maths when the other half isn’t something similar eg sciences)

You only need Latin to apply to most Classics courses and some unis don’t need Latin or Classics at A-Level.

I do Classics alongside History and English Lit at A-Level. It is definitely my favourite subject and I would recommended it to anyone. It will be a very good foundation for studying it at uni even though it isn’t a requirement. As long as you have Latin you’ll be fine.
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeniusOfEarl100)
You only need Latin to apply to most Classics courses and some unis don’t need Latin or Classics at A-Level.

I do Classics alongside History and English Lit at A-Level. It is definitely my favourite subject and I would recommended it to anyone. It will be a very good foundation for studying it at uni even though it isn’t a requirement. As long as you have Latin you’ll be fine.
Thank you! I was worried they might question my enthusiasm for the subject if I chose not to do it but I guess doing Latin should be enough!
GeniusOfEarl100
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you! I was worried they might question my enthusiasm for the subject if I chose not to do it but I guess doing Latin should be enough!
Also quick side note about your Maths A-Levels. My Classics teacher got into Cambridge Classics with A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Latin and Classics. If you want to do M and FM do it.
mr_carrot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I’m making my A-level decisions this month and although I was previously sure about what I wanted to do, someone said I should take classics at A-level in order to do it at uni. I know it isn’t a requirement, but if it’s offered at my school and I don’t take it, will that look bad? My current decisions are maths, further maths, history, and Latin, but I could change history for classics. The only reason I haven’t is because it seems a lot like the sources part of my Latin GCSE, which I didn’t really enjoy.(Side note: is my above combination good for applying to classics in general? People have said it’s weird to have half maths when the other half isn’t something similar eg sciences)Thanks to anyone who replies!
There’s nothing wrong with your above combination! I study History at university having done A-level Biology, History and German, and it shows you are a multidisciplinary student
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

I know someone doing Classics at Oxford who took A-levels in Latin, French and History. Latin is the only essential one.
ginevrafanshawe
Rep:
?
(Original post by GeniusOfEarl100)
Also quick side note about your Maths A-Levels. My Classics teacher got into Cambridge Classics with A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Latin and Classics. If you want to do M and FM do it.
(Original post by .harry.)
There’s nothing wrong with your above combination! I study History at university having done A-level Biology, History and German, and it shows you are a multidisciplinary student
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
I know someone doing Classics at Oxford who took A-levels in Latin, French and History. Latin is the only essential one.
Thank you all!
Lemon1806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think some universities don’t even require latin and accept greek as an alternative. I believe Cambridge states that if you have taken Latin alevel you do a three year course and if you have done greek you do a four year course so perhaps other unis are similar. But your alevels are absolutely fine
Last edited by Lemon1806; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
20.08%
Labour (118)
49.37%
Liberal Democrats (31)
12.97%
Green Party (16)
6.69%
Brexit Party (2)
0.84%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.26%
SNP (5)
2.09%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.42%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.26%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)