Ayan Khan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi guys,

I need some help. I’m currently a 2nd year Business BTEC Extended Diploma student who’s aiming to get D*D*D*. But I’ve had a change in heart and decided I wanted to go into my childhood dream of medicine. My GCSEs are not good at all at: 1 A, 6 Bs, and 2 Cs. I failed my A-Levels of maths, further maths, economics, and physics. I was wandering how useful the HE Live sciences is in getting me a place in any medical school and what I should do.

Many, many thanks,

Ayan.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Hi guys,

I need some help. I’m currently a 2nd year Business BTEC Extended Diploma student who’s aiming to get D*D*D*. But I’ve had a change in heart and decided I wanted to go into my childhood dream of medicine. My GCSEs are not good at all at: 1 A, 6 Bs, and 2 Cs. I failed my A-Levels of maths, further maths, economics, and physics. I was wandering how useful the HE Live sciences is in getting me a place in any medical school and what I should do.

Many, many thanks,

Ayan.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Hi guys,

Many, many thanks,

Ayan.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ayan Khan)
Hi guys,

Many, many thanks,

Ayan.
You wouldn't be able to get onto a medicine degree straight away with an Access course, you can look into foundation years but they are very specific about requirements and generally you d need some sort of science background and failing your a levels won't be great. Otherwise doing a science degree then doing graduate entry medicine could be an option but that is quite expensive.
username1562597
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
graduate entry is your only option. i think most foundation medicine courses will ask for an applied science btec.

the gamsat cutoff for gem schools usually ranges from 58 to 65

ukcat cutoff ranges from 2700 to 3000

good luck
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys,

Many, many thanks,

Ayan.
After you finish your current degree.
You can take biomedicine at graduate entry level they have some qualifications they require so maybe a test just do that and somehow get in, and then do that for 2 years. From there you can take medicine at graduate entry level and from there pursue the dream you say that you have.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
(Original post by TensorTympani)
You can take biomedicine at graduate entry level, and then do that for 2 years. From there you can take medicine at graduate entry level and from there pursue the dream you say that you have.

Is it only 2 years in biomedicine? And would I have to take an access course to get into it? Thank you.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Is it only 2 years in biomedicine? And would I have to take an access course to get into it? Thank you.
Yes, but a small problem idk how you can get into bio first because I don't know if they have graduate entries for it.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Yes, but a small problem idk how you can get into bio first because I don't know if they have graduate entries for it.

Well, the access course is designed to get you into bio/medical type of course. So I would presume so.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well, the access course is designed to get you into bio/medical type of course. So I would presume so.
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...e-to-medicine/

This is what you need to enter that degree from the degree that you are now doing:

We require an award of 75%-80% or above overall, with a minimum of 7.5-8 in three written subjects, including two science subjects.
In addition, all applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in English Language. We accept a score of 7.0 or 70% at Year 7 in English Language in the EB or a separate English Language qualification such as IELTS 6.5 in each component.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...e-to-medicine/

This is what you need to enter that degree from the degree that you are now doing:

We require an award of 75%-80% or above overall, with a minimum of 7.5-8 in three written subjects, including two science subjects.
In addition, all applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in English Language. We accept a score of 7.0 or 70% at Year 7 in English Language in the EB or a separate English Language qualification such as IELTS 6.5 in each component.
Thank you, boss man.
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
Hi guys,

A quick question, do any of you guys know how effective HE Access courses are in order to get into medicine at any semi-decent uni? I was hoping to potentially do a year in it and try and get the best possible grades. But I do not have any A-Levels and am currently in a BTEC in business so that would be fairly redundant. Any information would help.

Thank you.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
... medicine at any semi-decent uni...
I can't answer about the HE Access courses, but I need to correct you that there are no "semi-decent" med schools. All med schools are decent, full-stop. They have to satisfy strigent requirements set by, and have regular inspections from the GMC.

All medical degrees are the same at specialty training and consultant applications, no patients will ask you where you graduated from, no one will refuse to see you whether it's a degree from Cambridge or Keele, Oxford or Anglia Ruskin. In fact, for standard undergraduate medicine, Cambridge has consistently got less competition (relatively, it's not the bottom but it's lower than many - see https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios).
Last edited by ecolier; 9 months ago
Ayan Khan
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I can't answer about the HE Access courses, but I need to correct you that there are no "semi-decent" med schools. All med schools are decent, full-stop. They have to satisfy strigent requirements set by, and have regular inspections from the GMC.

All medical degrees are the same at specialty training and consultant applications, no patients will ask you where you graduated from, no one will refuse to see you whether it's a degree from Cambridge or Keele, Oxford or Anglia Ruskin. In fact, for standard undergraduate medicine, Cambridge has consistently got less competition (relatively, it's not the bottom but it's lower than many - see https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios).

I totally understand where you’re coming from, and I didn’t mean to show it a snooty way, but there’s an element of prestige to all the “high end unis” such as Oxford who would probably not accept something like a HE Access course, whereas maybe the less “well known unis” would.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I totally understand where you’re coming from, and I didn’t mean to show it a snooty way, but there’s an element of prestige to all the “high end unis” such as Oxford who would probably not accept something like a HE Access course, whereas maybe the less “well known unis” would.
That's not true at all. There are no "second class" med schools in the UK who will just let their requirements slide.

Brighton Sussex would probably have qualified as "less well known unis" in your criteria - both Brighton Uni and Sussex Uni are non Russell Group. But their competition rate is consistently very high (can be as high as nearly 20 to 1); compared to Cambridge which was as low as 4 to 1.

If you don't meet the requirements, you will be rejected - simple as that; if you do meet the requirements, you will be considered.

Bottom line - all med schools have exceedingly more applicants that places, hence they get to choose you; you don't get to choose them.

If the HE Access Course is mentioned here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf then potentially it will count; if not then no. The foundation medicine courses (near the bottom of that document, from Page 67 onwards) are probably the ones that you need to look at. Note they are usually much more competitive than standard undergraduate medicine just because the requirements are lower.
Last edited by ecolier; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
10.53%
They might tell the bully (3)
15.79%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
15.79%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
31.58%
There's nothing they could do (5)
26.32%

Watched Threads