The Student Room Group

Further study or straight to work?

Hi I’m currently in the second year of my history BA but am thinking about next steps. I love the subject but don’t want to be an academic. Is an MA actually any help in terms of employability or am I better off just going straight into the world of work? I’m thinking about the media for a career. Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong part of the site. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Unigirl_98
Hi I’m currently in the second year of my history BA but am thinking about next steps. I love the subject but don’t want to be an academic. Is an MA actually any help in terms of employability or am I better off just going straight into the world of work? I’m thinking about the media for a career. Sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong part of the site. Thanks

An MA in history? No help at all for most employment. In general masters degrees are nothing like as helpful as people think. A focussed journalism course or something related to the field you are looking to work in may be useful. Its generally better to try to find work then return to studying when you have experience and know that there are jobs that suit you.
People often do more formal study in the hope that it'll increase their intrinsic value, particular to employers. Unless its for a vocational or science degree, it generally doesn't. Extra qualifications don't highlight you as being more capable to do the job. You want to meet the minimum competency level - pretty much done with an undergraduate degree - the rest is down to soft skills and building technical skills on the job.

You need someone to give you a chance and you have more chance of doing that by being creative, persistent and getting involved in the community of the profession. Not by studying more.
Reply 3
Thanks for both your replies, they are so helpful and I think confirm what I suspected already. I guess having something more practical and relevant to the work I want to do will be more useful
Original post by Unigirl_98

An MA on its own does not increase employability (and I say this as someone who has done one). For a small minority of jobs an MA may be listed as desirable. However real world experience e.g. work placements and a strong application are always needed and having an MA does not make up for deficiencies in either areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending