Anyone know how long MRI results take on the NHS?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I had an MRI scan two weeks ago, but still no result. I also asked them whether I would get a letter or a phone call, but they said they weren't sure which it would be.

I'd like to think the longer the wait, the better the news. But, I've also heard stories where this hasn't happened.

Any ideas to put my mind at peace?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on the hospital, part(s) of the body being scanned, how urgent the scan was requested, how the results were communicated, how busy the radiologists were, whether any abnormalities were identified, how long it takes for the secretaries to type up the letter, whether you had it as an inpatient or outpatient etc. etc.

The short answer is.... no one will know.
I was an outpatient and the scan was non-urgent. However, surely if something alarming was found, they'd tell me? Or am I automatically at the bottom of the list just because it was requested as non-urgent?
Anonymous #1
Well if no one looked at it, then who would be able to tell something was found? So it depends, as I said on whether someone actually looked at it.

Then there's the communication. It also depends on who requested it - depending if it's a hospital consultant or GP so it depends on how busy they are to review the report. If someone urgent is found, they will usually get an urgent notification.

Then it's the plan. Will they let you know while things are happening in the background? They may think that it's more important to actually refer you to X / Y rather than telling you first (potentially wasting time). They could also have written a letter to you, but it's either delayed (Christmas post) or lost in the post.

You'll be in the routine list, that gets less priority compared to the urgent list. They are usually reported in time order.
I'm amazed that after asking these questions after my scan, nobody was able to give me this information you have. Thank you.
Anonymous #1
No problems, it's because I work the other side that I know how the process works.

(i.e. I request scans and get urgent notifications etc.; I also actually call the patients if someone unexpected is found but this can work two ways - because we never know what they are doing on the other side of a phone, e.g. if they were working / driving (speaker phone!) then it could distract them.)

Anyway :goodluck: for your results!
Interesting! It's good to hear from someone with experience. Is it common to find something urgent on an otherwise non-urgent requested scan? I want to kid myself and say that as it's been 2 weeks, perhaps it's nothing serious - but if my scan hasn't even been looked at yet, then I definitely can't relax. I understand now that if nothing of significance was found, then even if it's sent to the consultant who ordered it, they might just take ages to get back to you because of the lack of urgency (and therefore long wait = good news). All these speculations just get to me - I wish it was over already!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads