Help applying to 4-Year Medicine Watch

User112156
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi there,

So I'm currently taking my A-levels but I am looking ahead a little.

My plan is to take a 3-Year Degree Course in Biomedical Science at Southampton, then take the accelerated course in Medicine (4 years).

I don't really understand how the process works with regards to dates? So, since I am applying this year, I will be on my undergraduate degree from September 2019-July 2023. Then what? I still need to take the UKCAT which is between July and October so I can do that between July and October (assuming I get a 2:1), and then if I do well enough on that, I can apply for the accelerated course...

...But, if I am eligible to apply in October, as I'll have my UKCAT, when does the Universtiy application process happen and when will I join the course? Will I be accepted but then have to wait until the next year to apply? Someone, please explain because, to me, it sounds like I'd have 11 months of no study sandwiched between the date I apply and the date I start the accelerated course?!

Hopefully, that made sense!? I just want to know the timeline of events between finishing an Undergraduate degree and starting the Post-Graduate, with the necessity of a UKCAT Test, interview, application etc all in-between

Thank you!
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by User112156)
Hi there,

So I'm currently taking my A-levels but I am looking ahead a little.

My plan is to take a 3-Year Degree Course in Biomedical Science at Southampton, then take the accelerated course in Medicine (4 years).

I don't really understand how the process works with regards to dates? So, since I am applying this year, I will be on my undergraduate degree from September 2019-July 2023. Then what? I still need to take the UKCAT which is between July and October so I can do that between July and October (assuming I get a 2:1), and then if I do well enough on that, I can apply for the accelerated course...

...But, if I am eligible to apply in October, as I'll have my UKCAT, when does the Universtiy application process happen and when will I join the course? Will I be accepted but then have to wait until the next year to apply? Someone, please explain because, to me, it sounds like I'd have 11 months of no study sandwiched between the date I apply and the date I start the accelerated course?!

Hopefully, that made sense!? I just want to know the timeline of events between finishing an Undergraduate degree and starting the Post-Graduate, with the necessity of a UKCAT Test, interview, application etc all in-between

Thank you!
As we are saying in the other thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5742572 this morning, it is usually much more competitive to apply to GEM than undergraduate medicine so it is advised that you go in that way, if you can.

Apply in your 2nd year (of your 3 year course), you will also need to take UKCAT / BMAT / GAMSAT the summer before applying while you are studying. The hope is to get a conditional offer (2:1 or 1st class) so you can go straight into Med school following the graduation of your first degree.

In your case, assuming that your degree course is 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 (graduation 2022). Then you will need to do your exams and apply in Summer / Autumn 2021 for 2022 GEM entry. If all goes well then you'll be starting GEM in 2022-23 academic year.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
User112156
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
As we are saying in the other thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5742572 this morning, it is usually much more competitive to apply to GEM than undergraduate medicine so it is advised that you go in that way, if you can.

Apply in your 2nd year (of your 3 year course), you will also need to take UKCAT / BMAT / GAMSAT the summer before applying while you are studying. The hope is to get a conditional offer (2:1 or 1st class) so you can go straight into Med school following the graduation of your first degree.

In your case, assuming that your degree course is 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 (graduation 2022). Then you will need to do your exams and apply in Summer / Autumn 2021 for 2022 GEM entry. If all goes well then you'll be starting GEM in 2022-23 academic year.
Thanks a lot! So it's: take the UKCAT in 2020, do well enough on that so that I can apply in 2021 for 2022 GEM entry then join the GEM Course, hopefully, 2022-23!
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by User112156)
Thanks a lot! So it's: take the UKCAT in 2020, do well enough on that so that I can apply in 2021 for 2022 GEM entry then join the GEM Course, hopefully, 2022-23!
No, do the UKCAT in the summer of 2021, apply by 15th October 2021!
User112156
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No, do the UKCAT in the summer of 2021, apply by 15th October 2021!
Oh yeah of course, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed