is too late to start acting?

Watch
ugnyte888
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 18 now. I have passion for acting and I would love to try it but I live in a place where I don't have a chance to do it. I'm moving to London this summer. Does anyone think I can try to learn it? Or am I too old? Can you recommend anything?
dancesingact
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
enrol in an acting class and see where it takes you in the meantime have a look for monologues online to have a go at or YouTube videos, there are some on how to get into character etc. If you're looking to go professional then you are never too old! Many people your age who are interested in drama will be auditioning for top unis and conservatories... maybe have a look online and see if that route is for you.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're never too old to do it. Not everyone who pursues acting professionally has been doing it since they were a child. Some are successful at drama school auditions in their late 20's/early 30's whereas others take a different route. What's important is that you show versatility and put some personality into your acting. Your audiences and casting people want to see that you're a rounded person with interesting qualities - not just someone who learns lines like a robot and lives in the theatre.

I agree with above - go to acting classes and get some experience. Try different types of roles, different emotions, things that challenge you as an actor. It's also important you stay informed about what's happening on the film, theatre and music circuits - watch films and plays, study what your favourite actors have done in their best performances (and how they prepared for it), and practise your skills wherever possible. Rehearsal is the best preparation you can do. People make short films, put them on YouTube and social media etc etc. I'd also recommend you have a stable source of income as performing arts isn't something you can do full-time when you're inexperienced. I perform for stage and screen and the most I've ever done is about 3 weeks in a year on films and 2 weeks on stage. Some gigs pay very little and some take ages to pay - it's not secure work.

Having said that, living in London will be an advantage for you. The best opportunities and the most work is all inside the M25.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
your not too old, start classes and dream big, good luck
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go to theatres as well
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Check out some acting classes, it’s never too late, familiarise yourself by going to some theatres
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You say you have a passion for acting, but then say you can't do it.. so how do you know? Acting classes or an Am Dram club are great places to start, and you should soon find out whether you have a flair that's worth pursuing or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.07%
Excited but a bit nervous (131)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.41%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed