Is 25 hours a week of revision unreasonable? Watch

alwinjm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have made a revision timetable which consists of around 25 hours of revision a week including time for homework. Here are my mock grades and what im aiming for in GCSE. I revised the night before every exam except physics. Some subjects such as Chemistry, English Language, Geography and RE, I was only one mark off an 8. If i stick to the timetable, is it likely ill get these targets?.

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9
Last edited by alwinjm; 9 months ago
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by alwinjm)
I have made a revision timetable which consists of around 25 hours of revision a week including time for homework. Here are my mock grades and what im aiming for in GCSE. I revised the night before every exam except physics. Some subjects such as Chemistry, English Language, Geography and RE, I was only one mark off an 8. If i stick to the timetable, is it likely ill get these targets?.

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9
Chillllll u got high grades so go easy
delle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9

I have a timetable which has me doing 29 hours a week (excuding an hour per day for homework) and I still have free time so i feel this is reasonable. Just be careful not to burn out or overwork yourself
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9
Your grades don’t suggest you are an idiot, but your revision timetable does. 25 hours a week is ridiculous for GCSEs
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by thestudent33)
Chillllll u got high grades so go easy
Thanks but im trying to go into medicine where every grade counts although a level is more important.
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Your grades don’t suggest you are an idiot, but your revision timetable does. 25 hours a week is ridiculous for GCSEs
I want to have the best possible career so if i work hard now, i wont regret it in the future. Ive also left many hours for free time as well and i will also get rid of my phone
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by delle)
I have a timetable which has me doing 29 hours a week (excuding an hour per day for homework) and I still have free time so i feel this is reasonable. Just be careful not to burn out or overwork yourself
Are you doing GCSE as well?
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Amateur numbers. Everyone on TSR did 25 hours a day as a bare minimum.
Batchystudies
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Im surprised Business is one of the subjects you're not aiming for a 9 in. Most people who take it say it's their easiest GCSE and the one their most likely to get a 9 in.
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Batchystudies)
Im surprised Business is one of the subjects you're not aiming for a 9 in. Most people who take it say it's their easiest GCSE and the one their most likely to get a 9 in.
This will be the first year its 9-1 and the teacher made grade 9 as 90% and grade 8 as 80% so it was only an estimate
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by RichPiana)
Amateur numbers. Everyone on TSR did 25 hours a day as a bare minimum.
Did they all get 8s/9s?
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9
yeh totally - it's not unreasonable, it's impressive :eek: i plan to start revising for GCSEs after my mocks everyday too - need those top grades ygm :ahee:
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

MOCK /TARGET
Biology-7 /9
Business- 6 /8
Chemistry-7 /9
English Language-7 /9
English Lit-8 /9
French-5 /7
Geography-7 /9
Maths-7 /9
Physics-8 /9
RE-7 /9
Mate it’s GCSE’s no one cares. They are there to facilitate you doing A Levels only.
Tate00
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'd suggest you reduce that quite a bit, especially since it's only GCSEs. You really don't wanna burn yourself out. Remember, it's not about how much you revise, but how effectively you do it.
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I want to have the best possible career so if i work hard now, i wont regret it in the future. Ive also left many hours for free time as well and i will also get rid of my phone
what career do you want?
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdahnnyboi)
yeh totally - it's not unreasonable, it's impressive :eek: i plan to start revising for GCSEs after my mocks everyday too - need those top grades ygm :ahee:
What grades you aiming for?
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
what career do you want?
I want to study medicine or pharmacy as a backup
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by paul514)
Mate it’s GCSE’s no one cares. They are there to facilitate you doing A Levels only.
places like Oxford look at ur GCSEs as well as ur a levels, so that's not true. gcses are important because it's the fundamental learning of anny subject before u take it for a level. and if u don't take ur first public exams seriously at 16, how do u think you'd do that at 18? it's good practice and they really are important
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hours don’t mean anything. You can study in 25 hours a week, someone else could work more effectively for 10 hours a week. Here what may be useful is for you to reflect on how to be more effective with hours - Not aim for lots of hours.
alwinjm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tate00)
I'd suggest you reduce that quite a bit, especially since it's only GCSEs. You really don't wanna burn yourself out. Remember, it's not about how much you revise, but how effectively you do it.
Im doing parts of each topic alongside the spec. I also wont be procrastinating cause im getting rid of my phone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads