How to approach this displacement/group 7, A-Level question?

Watch this thread
swaus
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
"Describe how displacement reactions can be used to show the different reactivies of chlorine, bromine and iodine."
username3249896
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Consider the reactions when the halogen is added to solutions of halide

e.g
for chlorine, react it with KBr, KI (i.e Br- and I-)

for bromine, react with it KCl, KI

for iodine, react it with KCl, KBr

then give the results, and state what conclusion can be taken from the results
probably also useful to give the equation for the displacement reactions occurring & perhaps observations too
Last edited by username3249896; 3 years ago
swaus
Rep:
(Original post by BobbJo)
Consider the reactions when the halogen is added to solutions of halide

e.g
for chlorine, react it with KBr, KI (i.e Br- and I-)

for bromine, react with it KCl, KI

for iodine, react it with KCl, KBr

then give the results, and state what conclusion can be taken from the results
probably also useful to give the equation for the displacement reactions occurring & perhaps observations too
Cl2 + 2I- >> i2 + 2Cl-
Cl2 + 2Br- >> Br2 +2Cl-
Br2 + 2Cl- >> Cl2 + 2Br-
Br2 + 2I- >> I2 + Br-

The ionic equations of reacting halogens as cations and in their natural states show us that, going up the group, elements become better oxidising agents as the oxidation number increases, making them more reactive. Colour changes after dissolving soluutions in cyclohexane, are indicative of reactivity as it shows us the halogen present that has displaced the less reactive one (iodine will be purple, bromine a strong orange and chlorine a pale green).

Would this answer get 4/4 marks?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swaus)
Br2 + 2Cl- >> Cl2 + 2Br-
Would this answer get 4/4 marks?
Since this reaction doesn't take place, then you won't get 4/4. The explanation wouldn't get any marks on an OCR A paper.
swaus
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Since this reaction doesn't take place, then you won't get 4/4. The explanation wouldn't get any marks on an OCR A paper.
So, do I write about a smaller atomic radius, outweights the lower positive charge, and weaker shielding effect makes gaining an electron easier up the group?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swaus)
So, do I write about a smaller atomic radius, outweights the lower positive charge, and weaker shielding effect makes gaining an electron easier up the group?
If you are doing OCR A, that would do nicely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (34)
27.42%
It went fairly well (53)
42.74%
It didn't go too well (24)
19.35%
TERRIBLE! (13)
10.48%

Watched Threads