The Student Room Group

Meiosis

What is the starting cell in meiosis? Like it can't be a gamete because gametes have 23 chromosomes whereas the starting cell has 46 chromosomes. I mean before interphase.

Scroll to see replies

A diploid cell
Reply 2
Original post by Muserock
A diploid cell

What type of cell though? From my understanding, diploid means total number of chromosomes so a cell with its total number of chromosomes.
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
Original post by foxstudy
What type of cell though? From my understanding, diploid means total number of chromosomes so a cell with its total number of chromosomes.

The gamete mother cell is diploid. What are you unclear about here?
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
The gamete mother cell is diploid. What are you unclear about here?

I don't understand how though because gametes that arise after meiosis cell division have 23 chromosomes ?
Reply 7
I don't understand how though because gametes that arise after meiosis cell division have 23 chromosomes ?

That's because they are pulled apart to make gametes.

The chromosomes replicate, they are pulled apart to make diploid cells still. Then the next set of cells made are haploid as no replication occurs.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
That's because they are pulled apart to make gametes.

The chromosomes replicate, they are pulled apart to make diploid cells still. Then the next set of cells made are haploid as no replication occurs.

oh wait is the cell that is dividing by meiosis a zygote ? when the gametes (ovum and sperm cell) join ?
Reply 9
oh wait is the cell that is dividing by meiosis a zygote ? when the gametes (ovum and sperm cell) join ?

A fertilised egg is a zygote. The cell to begin meiosis is a gamete mother cell.
Reply 10
Original post by Bio 7
A fertilised egg is a zygote. The cell to begin meiosis is a gamete mother cell.

but gametes have 23 chromosomes ? and the starting cell has 46 chromosomes. I feel so stupid because this is GCSE stuff.
Reply 11
but gametes have 23 chromosomes ? and the starting cell has 46 chromosomes. I feel so stupid because this is GCSE stuff.

The chromosomes replicate but don't separate at the centromere, so still joined in the classic shape. These line up on the metaphase plate and are pulled apart by spindle fibres to the poles. Each pole becomes a new cell. Each new cell is diploid because there are 23 chromosomes that are joined together, also counting as 46. This process repeats but this time the Chromatids are pulled apart to the poles to make 2 new haploid cells. 4 new cells in total from one gamete mother cell.
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
The chromosomes replicate but don't separate at the centromere, so still joined in the classic shape. These line up on the metaphase plate and are pulled apart by spindle fibres to the poles. Each pole becomes a new cell. Each new cell is diploid because there are 23 chromosomes that are joined together, also counting as 46. This process repeats but this time the Chromatids are pulled apart to the poles to make 2 new haploid cells. 4 new cells in total from one gamete mother cell.

But in the starting cell, doesn't one chromosome come from the mother and the other comes from the father ?
Reply 13
But in the starting cell, doesn't one chromosome come from the mother and the other comes from the father ?

Are you aware of what a zygote is? Because it has nothing to do with meiosis.
Reply 14
Original post by Bio 7
Are you aware of what a zygote is? Because it has nothing to do with meiosis.

Zygote is a fertilized egg/ovum cell? Yea I just realised they divide by mitosis. So meiosis is the division of sex cells or gametes such as the sperm cell and ovum/egg cell ? what exactly is the diploid number of the starting cell?
Reply 15
Ahh that makes more sense. How does the starting gamete have 46 chromosomes then?
Reply 16
wait so the starting cell has 46 chromosomes, then the DNA replicates so it has 92 chromosomes during interphase, then it divides into two cells where each has 46 chromosomes, then the cell divide again into 4 cells with 23 chromosomes ?
Reply 17
wait so the starting cell has 46 chromosomes, then the DNA replicates so it has 92 chromosomes during interphase, then it divides into two cells where each has 46 chromosomes, then the cell divide again into 4 cells with 23 chromosomes ?

Yes. But as the 96 are still joined at the centromere you can call it a single chromosome untilnit separates.
Reply 18
oh shoot I meant that this is GCSE stuff and I should already know it. I'm doing a levels now. How many chromosomes does the gametes mother cell have before replication?
Reply 19
Original post by Bio 7
Yes. But as the 96 are still joined at the centromere you can call it a single chromosome untilnit separates.

Where is this mother and father chromosome thing coming from in meiosis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending