The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham 2019 College Allocations Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by random_matt
Just google unite students reviews. If you are only 10 minutes away then student accommodation for you is probably not a big deal. However, those roads outside the science site are awful, sometimes takes five minutes to get across.

I've lived in student houses very close to Rushford court for the last two years - never taken me longer than 20 minutes to walk to the Library/Science site. And the roads opposite the Science site really aren't that bad when you know the order the traffic lights work in lol
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
How do you have the choice to move to Chad’s, I thought moving colleges was impossible unless medical reasons etc?
I wasn’t happy with my reallocation so my head of sixth form contacted Durham, he’s a past student from there too, but it was a big no :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I have a place at Van Mildert but have the choice of moving to Chad’s due to school connection and honestly I don’t know whether to or not.. help!
But the accommodation looks amazing!
Brand new rooms with en-suite, what’s not to like for a student??
People really should read reviews of unite students, would not recommend rushford court.
Original post by ally2000
But the accommodation looks amazing!
Brand new rooms with en-suite, what’s not to like for a student??

I was merely highlighting bad reviews for the company, it is entirely up to you or anyone else who wants to try their luck. Go for it if you want to, you may well love it.
I have just read some very bad reviews about the company that you may be referring to... luckily I think some rooms on the John Snow Unite Student site are being converted to offices for John Snow staff members, so hopefully if the reviews are somewhat true for the Durham site, at least we’ll have college staff present for help too :smile:
I was merely highlighting bad reviews for the company, it is entirely up to you or anyone else who wants to try their luck. Go for it if you want to, you may well love it.
So who's going to one of the post-offer visits next week? Is anyone taking a guest with them?
Reply 366
Being next to the station sounds good. I looked at the new area it is going to be. I'm kinda worried about distance at night since I will be spending a lot of time at the actual law facilities to do general study. I know durham is pretty safe overall, but as a local, do you have any input about walking back up to the station area at night?
Original post by CMSMITH96
You might want to check the web page for John Snow as it is being relocated for this years intake. I am lucky that I am from Durham so I know where the old location is but the new location for this September is actually next to Durham train station! Also, I got an offer for Criminology with Foundation. I am a couple of years older and so my old grades don't really count.
Original post by annamd
Being next to the station sounds good. I looked at the new area it is going to be. I'm kinda worried about distance at night since I will be spending a lot of time at the actual law facilities to do general study. I know durham is pretty safe overall, but as a local, do you have any input about walking back up to the station area at night?

It is pretty empty at night.
In all honesty there will be plenty of people probably walking back with you too as most students will need to walk around Durham. My only input would be to avoid the bus station. It's not exactly an area of trouble but I have seen a few incidents in there that I would rather have been further away from. Honestly, as an area Durham centre is quite safe in itself and the majority of people that will be there are students. The streets are all well lit. I am doing Criminology so I don't know if I will be in the same facilities as you but I will be having to walk back down into the centre to get to my car anyway and I think that will be the same for most people.
Original post by annamd
Is there an option of changing the college? When I was applying to Durham I was in the bubble of getting into Oxford, so I did't even check what the colleges looked like. To be honest, I don't even remember which I have chosen. I got an offer for law and now I am really excited to go there, but I am not so happy with the college. I like my privacy, hate canteen food and I was allocated to st Aidans. I can't even imagine living in one room with a stranger and I heard that 1st year student can't have private rooms. Hate the sc thing and overall "friendly and happy atmosphere. Please help me!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anonymous2112000
Is there an option of changing the college? When I was applying to Durham I was in the bubble of getting into Oxford, so I did't even check what the colleges looked like. To be honest, I don't even remember which I have chosen. I got an offer for law and now I am really excited to go there, but I am not so happy with the college. I like my privacy, hate canteen food and I was allocated to st Aidans. I can't even imagine living in one room with a stranger and I heard that 1st year student can't have private rooms. Hate the sc thing and overall "friendly and happy atmosphere. Please help me!

There’s no option whatsoever unless you insure (which means you’re more likely to be reallocated)

You are pretty screwed then, I would suggest private or withdraw if it makes you unhappy.
Original post by seelawperson
anyone going for residential visit (overnight stay)?

I am :smile: where are you allocated?
omg im in the same situtation!!!!!
Reply 374
As a Hild Bede Student I can fully say.
Hild Bede is great, it is a 5 min walk away from town, 5 min away from Klute!
The grounds are amazing and honestly, everything negative is untrue.
Personally, I would say that Hild Bede is great and if I were to say the Bailey Colleges would come first then Hild Bede and then the Hill colleges.
I received an offer from Durham on thrusday!!!! When do you think I will hear about my college allocation?
Original post by anbaric
me! I loved Durham when I visited and it does have one of the best physics departments in the UK so I'm definitely firming it. Not too sure about Trevs (I originally applied Mary's) but the hexagons are growing on me. What's your offer like?

i'm doing IB so it's quite grim - 38/45 points with 776 in my HL subjects if that makes sense. I guess it's vaguely equivalent to A*A*A at A level?

I loved the hexagons - found it really cool that the architecture is specifically made with the intention that people make friends on their hexagon. I got rejected from St Andrews last week so it ended up being a very easy choice to firm Durham. hopefully see you in september!
Has anyone else gotten Hatfield?
Is Hild Bede actually getting knocked down?? I got allocated there and really liked it on the offer day, I don’t wanna be put in private accommodation. I’ve heard nothing from the uni/can’t find anything online for it- anyone know anything about this?
I think if anything is happening it will affect 2020 entry as the new 17th college will then be open so they will have capacity to redevelop Hilde Bede without affecting student numbers
Original post by citrus.tea
Is Hild Bede actually getting knocked down?? I got allocated there and really liked it on the offer day, I don’t wanna be put in private accommodation. I’ve heard nothing from the uni/can’t find anything online for it- anyone know anything about this?

Quick Reply

Latest