Can I cancel accommodation application?

Watch
GreatnessInSpace
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I'm wondering if it would be possible to decline/cancel an application for uni accommodation (on campus)? Obviously I haven't done anything about accommodation yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay in uni accommodation or not until August (at the latest).

Also, is it possible to leave accommodation (as in stop paying) after you've already stayed there for some period of time (weeks-months) while still being enrolled in the uni? Thanks.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by GreatnessInSpace)
Hi. I'm wondering if it would be possible to decline/cancel an application for uni accommodation (on campus)? Obviously I haven't done anything about accommodation yet, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay in uni accommodation or not until August (at the latest).

Also, is it possible to leave accommodation (as in stop paying) after you've already stayed there for some period of time (weeks-months) while still being enrolled in the uni? Thanks.
You should be able to decline or cancel if its not private accommodation.
yes its possible to leave but you might need to find a replacement tenant or be liable to pay the rest of the rent for the year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago

You wont be committed until much later in the year. Look at the accommodation process and at some stage they will send you anoffer na dyou will have to decide to accept plus pay a deposit. It is normally when firming the uni. That would be the time to decide.

If your agreement has already started then you are bound for the whole period, unless [ as claire points out] you find a replacement. This can be difficult. In certain circumstances such as leaving uni through ill health and leaving completely then the uni may consider letting you terminate the agreement with a short notice period. If you arent sure then dont do it. Its unclear why its such an issue for you,.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It should be easy to decline an accomodation offer before you've signed the contract. Once you've sign the contract you've signed a legally binding document to pay rent for the length of the tenancy. Generally to get out of that you have to find a tenant to replace you.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,

In terms of leaving your accommodation through the year - you will 99% of the time be in a contractual bind. With that contract, you'll have to find a replacement tenant which means you'll be back here posting across the forum, over Facebook, stuff like that. I would highly recommend you don't accept anything you don't want to get into a contract with, or try and change terms / figure out staying more or less time.

Hope this hepls
Josh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads