R_94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone work for Waterstones and know what they look for in a cover letter/CV? I applied once already and didn't get an interview but I have worked for my local library for almost 3 years so thought that was great experience. I also demonstrated my customer service skills and passion for reading. Well I thought I did anyway but I must be missing something!

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by R_94)
Anyone work for Waterstones and know what they look for in a cover letter/CV? I applied once already and didn't get an interview but I have worked for my local library for almost 3 years so thought that was great experience. I also demonstrated my customer service skills and passion for reading. Well I thought I did anyway but I must be missing something!

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance
They will be looking for evidence of the specific skills they are asking for in the job. bUt getting the right style and tone in your CV is also important, Waterstones wil have a lot of keen applicants with good experience and strong writing skills. Was it written in bullet point format? no lists? Education, Experience and Interests sections? Clear evidence of skills, not just claims? No waffly opening profiles or generic skills lists?

There's a specific CV help forum you can start a thread in and get help there. it's private so your CV can't be seen by anyone but you and the CV Helper.
R_94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi thanks for your advice. The cover letter wasn't in bullet points but some of my CV with key skills in my previous jobs was in bullet points. Thanks for the tip I will get someone to take a look at my cv for me.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
They will be looking for evidence of the specific skills they are asking for in the job. bUt getting the right style and tone in your CV is also important, Waterstones wil have a lot of keen applicants with good experience and strong writing skills. Was it written in bullet point format? no lists? Education, Experience and Interests sections? Clear evidence of skills, not just claims? No waffly opening profiles or generic skills lists?

There's a specific CV help forum you can start a thread in and get help there. it's private so your CV can't be seen by anyone but you and the CV Helper.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by R_94)
Hi thanks for your advice. The cover letter wasn't in bullet points but some of my CV with key skills in my previous jobs was in bullet points. Thanks for the tip I will get someone to take a look at my cv for me.
To be clear, the CV should be in bullet points, but the covering letter should not.

The skills you demonstrate from your previous experience should reflect the experience that Waterstones want to see, not necessarily they key skills for that previous job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (175)
14.57%
I'm not sure (56)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.14%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (585)
48.71%

Watched Threads