Uni and friends: second semester? Watch

bioenthusiast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I feel very, very lonely at university. I am just about to start semester 2 at Leicester and truth is, I feel so alone...

Freshers was good - I met lots of people and went out a lot with them, everything seemed positive and I was so excited for the future. We even discussed housing for second year etc. However, a few weeks on it was just weird. It was like they all formed a friendship group without me. Whenever I messaged one of them to see what they were doing, they'd make up an excuse or they'd just not reply. It's so sad because I'm a decent person and I try to make friends, it's not even like I'm not sociable so idk why this happened to me.
I do get on with my flatmates however they all have their own subgroups. And one of my closest friends here has now dropped out. It's just a shame that I have no one who I feel is a real friend yet, and I just had so many expectations of university to be this place where you make friends for life. Yet all I do is spend night after night in my room watching Netflix.
I was considering joining societies or maybe tennis but idk I feel like they'll all have already formed friends with one another and no one will even talk to me.

I dont know what else to do. I really want to find good friends. But I feel like in second semester, friendship groups have already been solidified and I'm hopeless. What can I do???????
Aliya1212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I feel you girl, I’m the same. I feel like I have friends but just to sit with in class but no one close enough to hang around with. I’m in my third year and still haven’t made no friends not even my flat mates I try so hard to. I don’t have friends that are uni friends only work friends. As I was advised join societies that may interest you that may help xox
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
I feel very, very lonely at university. I am just about to start semester 2 at Leicester and truth is, I feel so alone...

Freshers was good - I met lots of people and went out a lot with them, everything seemed positive and I was so excited for the future. We even discussed housing for second year etc. However, a few weeks on it was just weird. It was like they all formed a friendship group without me. Whenever I messaged one of them to see what they were doing, they'd make up an excuse or they'd just not reply. It's so sad because I'm a decent person and I try to make friends, it's not even like I'm not sociable so idk why this happened to me.
I do get on with my flatmates however they all have their own subgroups. And one of my closest friends here has now dropped out. It's just a shame that I have no one who I feel is a real friend yet, and I just had so many expectations of university to be this place where you make friends for life. Yet all I do is spend night after night in my room watching Netflix.
I was considering joining societies or maybe tennis but idk I feel like they'll all have already formed friends with one another and no one will even talk to me.

I dont know what else to do. I really want to find good friends. But I feel like in second semester, friendship groups have already been solidified and I'm hopeless. What can I do???????
The friendship groups might not be as set in stone as you think. I know of plenty of people at uni who appeared to settled in one friendship group at uni at the end of the first semester and then found other friends in the second semester who became their uni buddies. And do go along to societies, until you've been you'll never know if everyone has all their friends. You may find it easier bonding over an activity or something you have in common.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey bioenthusiast

I can tell you personally that I've been through a similar kind of thing. I didn't actually have people at University that I could consider true true friends until second year. A lot of the people I met in the first year were more or less creature comforts -- we spent a bit of time together, it was easy enough, but it was never anything more meaningful than going to the shops, sitting in eachothers accommodation, or partying together. It was fun, but I never really considered them people I would 100% rely on and my closest friends.

In my second year, I've put myself out there with different groups of people and found plenty of friends who I've made meaningful friendships with. Chosen accommodations with, and things of that. Some of these things just take time -- and also a lot of effort for you to put yourself out there in. Don't sweat the small things, take one day at a time and work your way through it. Joining societies and other things will open up a lot of avenues for you to meet other people of the same nature and help act as an icebreaker when they party.

Hope this helps a little
Josh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads