The Student Room Group

Facilitating Subjects - A Levels

I’m about to choose my A Levels - and I was just wondering if Ancient History counted as a facilitating subject? I’m stuck between Ancient History and Drama for my A levels, and I don’t want to do both just in case Ancient History isn’t facilitating, I don’t want to not do 2 facilitating subjects.
Hi,

im in yr11, we have been told the facilitating subjects are maths and sciences and eng and geog and his

why do you want to both history and ancient history thats unwise because the subjects are too similar

and drama is not a facilitating subject

so you only have 1 facil.. subject which means you have closed most of uni options
Reply 2
No - I don’t want to do History. I was wondering if Ancient History was a facilitating subject, because it is a humanity.
no im pretty sure its not
Biology

Chemistry

English literature

Geography

History

Physics

Modern and classical languages

Maths and further maths

i googled these are all the f subjects
Reply 5
Original post by chlxeh88
I’m about to choose my A Levels - and I was just wondering if Ancient History counted as a facilitating subject? I’m stuck between Ancient History and Drama for my A levels, and I don’t want to do both just in case Ancient History isn’t facilitating, I don’t want to not do 2 facilitating subjects.

The term "facilitating" is much misunderstood... a subject is actually facilitating if it is required, or preferred, for a university course. History may be "facilitating" but not if you want to study Maths or a sciences...

But that's not to say you shouldn't study History if you are applying for Maths at uni, but equally you could study Drama instead.

So what are your currently preferred A-level choices and potentially intended university course(s)?
Reply 6
I want to study French at university, possible a joint honours degree, so I want to keep my options open just in case I change my mind
Reply 7
No - I don’t want to do History. I was wondering if Ancient History was a facilitating subject, because it is a humanity.

I'm pretty sure it is seen as such - its a period of history.
Reply 8
I read online that someone did a Medieval History module and it was treated the same as any other History module. So, I'm guessing it is a facilitating subject still.
are you gonna study french a level
Reply 10
I want to study French at university, possible a joint honours degree, so I want to keep my options open just in case I change my mind

Then French plus any 2 subjects of your preference are fine. If you want to do A-level French, Ancient History and Drama that's absolutely fine.
Basically any scientific subject: biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, applied science, geography, (sometimes psychology) - be careful with the histories and social sciences as unis look at them differently dependent on the course you’re applying for. It all depends on the course you want to study at uni and the requirements for that course.
Ultimately, alevels are only 2years and only a stepping stone, so as long as you have the required subjects and grades it doesn’t really matter, but what ever you choose there will be some way to get around it and do what you want to do.
Good luck
Please dont be restriced to this facilitating subject nonsense put about by the Russell Group. Nearly every university doesnt follow it including nearly all Russell Group universities. Exceptions might include Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial but Oxbridge and LSE dont always follow it. Many universities including UCL use a preferred subject list. Ancient History is accepted as a preferred subject. Universities require 2 from their preferred list. The other can be any subject except General Studies and Critical thinking. French and Ancient History will be fine as 2 preferred subjects and the other can be of your choosing.
Preferred A levels

A

Ancient HistoryAnthropologyArabicArchaeologyArt and DesignArt and Design: 3D DesignArt and Design: Critical and Contextual StudiesArt and Design: Fine ArtArt and Design: Graphic DesignArt and Design: PhotographyArt and Design: Textiles

B

BengaliBiblical HebrewBiologyBiology (Salters-Nuffield)Biology (Human)Biology BBusiness

C

ChemistryChemistry (Nuffield)Chemistry (Salters)ChineseClassical CivilisationClassical GreekComputer Science

D

Drama (WJEC specification)Drama and Theatre StudiesDutch

E

EconomicsEconomics BEconomics and BusinessEconomics and Business Studies (Nuffield)English LanguageEnglish Language and LiteratureEnglish Literature (specifications A or B where applicable)Environmental ScienceEnvironmental Studies

F

Film StudiesFrench

G

Geography AGeography BGeologyGermanGovernment and PoliticsGujarati

H

HistoryHistory of ArtHistory of Art and Design

I

Information and Communication TechnologyIrishItalian

J

Japanese

L

LatinLaw

M

MathematicsMathematics (MEI)Further MathematicsPure MathematicsModern GreekModern HebrewMusic

P

PanjabiPersianPhilosophyPhysicsPhysics (Advancing Physics)Physics (Salters-Horners)PolishPortuguesePsychologyPsychology APsychology B

R

Religious StudiesRussian

S

Sociology
SpanishStatistics

T

Turkish

U

Urdu

W

WelshWelsh (Second Language)

Facilities
Why do people thinking a non facilitating subject is bad? Swear economics in non facilitating but still v respected. It means nothing.
The Russell group really ****ed up when they put out their facilitating subjects booklet. Facilitating just means flexible. They were recommended to applicants who didn’t have any real ideas about what they might want to study at university because they leave more options open.

Ancient history is and drama would both be great choices alongside French

Quick Reply

Latest