Would you rather live in a very liberal or very conservative country Watch

Justbeingmyself
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For me liberal all the way, at least you have more freedom to decide upon your actions.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justbeingmyself)
For me liberal all the way, at least you have more freedom to decide upon your actions.
Liberal. You would really need to give examples of the pros and cons of each as one persons conservative might differ and the benefits may outweigh the cons. In contrast too liberal and that may have other consequences as to the type of society you are in.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
conservative.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Freedom does not exist; it is merely an illusion.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very conservative provided the national views aligned with my own or I could at the very least tolerate my surroundings. I often thought about teaching ESOL in Saudi Arabia and the "quiet and standardized" life is very appealing despite not being a Muslim. I'm not sure how I'd feel having to dodge the religious police during national prayer times though. Definitely something I'd still consider today.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmm, somewhere in between. Liberal enough that fun things are generally allowed and people have core freedoms, but Conservative enough there isn't rampant social chaos and debauchery. All good things in moderation.

For example, sexual liberation and decriminalisation of recreational drugs I consider good things. However, when we have 12-year-old drag queens and people who sexually identify as unicorns, smoking weed as they walk around naked, I think I could safely say things have gone too far.

In other words, I wouldn't want to live in Tehran, but I wouldn't want to live in San Francisco either.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a bit (but not entirely) like being asked, would you like to step in cow **** or dog ****?

I prefer moderation (as Dandaman1 said) and I wouldn't like to live in a country where there is a very liberal government or very conservative government.

If I had to pick, it would be the liberal government, but that doesn't mean that I would be happy living in such a country. It is very much the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by stoyfan; 1 month ago
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would rather live in a liberal country; but that means genuinely liberal. For example, people must also have the liberty to hold conservative values and suffer no institutional disadvantage as a result.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by tazarooni89; 1 month ago
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you mean by liberal. If you mean actual real liberal then I'd say liberal.
If you mean the modern version of liberal then I'd say conservative, as modern conservatism is classical liberalism; and modern liberalism is regressive puritanism/totalitarianism.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LOL liberalism is the epitome of having NO freedom. First of all, conservatism has nothing to do with freedom. You're thinking of totalitarianism or a dictatorship...secondly, liberals are the ONLY people who SCREAM that others can NOT say, do or be something they believe in. Nor can we wear or listen to or EAT what we like for being labelled "appropriators" or "animal abusers." Conservatives do NOT GUILT TRIP troves of people and entire social, religious, sexual, lingual and race groups into doing something ELSE for not doing what liberals believe in. Conservatives will NOT LOCK you away or publicly SHAME you for SAYING something! Liberals are the biggest bigots I have ever encountered!
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Conservative all the way! Excuse us for believing in order.
Homo Fuge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Neither. Anarchist societies would be best.
Vapormax
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
LOL liberalism is the epitome of having NO freedom. First of all, conservatism has nothing to do with freedom. You're thinking of totalitarianism or a dictatorship...secondly, liberals are the ONLY people who SCREAM that others can NOT say, do or be something they believe in. Nor can we wear or listen to or EAT what we like for being labelled "appropriators" or "animal abusers." Conservatives do NOT GUILT TRIP troves of people and entire social, religious, sexual, lingual and race groups into doing something ELSE for not doing what liberals believe in. Conservatives will NOT LOCK you away or publicly SHAME you for SAYING something! Liberals are the biggest bigots I have ever encountered!
Liberal means something different in different countries.

In the UK a liberal is seen more like a classical liberal where they believe in freedom of speech, free markets; more like a libertarian.
Whereas in the US, the word seems to have been hijacked to be associated with the extreme feminism and leftist ideology.
TommyDH
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vapormax)
Liberal means something different in different countries.

In the UK a liberal is seen more like a classical liberal where they believe in freedom of speech, free markets; more like a libertarian.
Whereas in the US, the word seems to have been hijacked to be associated with the extreme feminism and leftist ideology.
Same in the UK now. Those who describe themselves as liberals are actually authoritarians and puritans. They call those with a different opinion to them "bigots" while failing to see the irony (look up the word 'bigot' and read its definition to see why it's ironic)
Vapormax
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TommyDH)
Same in the UK now. Those who describe themselves as liberals are actually authoritarians and puritans. They call those with a different opinion to them "bigots" while failing to see the irony (look up the word 'bigot' and read its definition to see why it's ironic)
I understand the irony, it's just hard to see a word be hijacked due to US influence. Either way, I prefer to describe the authoritarians as leftists, and liberals as those with socially liberal views, leaving the economics out of it.
TommyDH
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vapormax)
I understand the irony, it's just hard to see a word be hijacked due to US influence. Either way, I prefer to describe the authoritarians as leftists, and liberals as those with socially liberal views, leaving the economics out of it.
They still exist, they just refer to themselves as 'classical liberals' now - or libertarians.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's ironic because they don't actually care about what they speak! so it becomes inconsistent.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's ironic because they don't actually care about what they speak! so it becomes inconsistent.
Like anyone else. This isn't unique to one ideology.
TommyDH
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Modern liberals, I find, are amongst some of the most bigoted (in its true definition), ignorant, rude, closed minded, hypocritical, self righteous and generally all round disgusting people I've ever had the displeasure of conversing with.

They're also incredibly racist and don't even know it. "Non-whites are so strong and empowered that they need us middle classed white luvvies to speak for them and tell them what to think!" ~ their entire attitude. Superiority complex Have you seen how nasty and vile these "liberal" lefties get if a non-white holds a conservative opinion or disagrees with their narrative?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
Like anyone else. This isn't unique to one ideology.
what the hell are you talking about?
Modern liberals, I find, are amongst some of the most bigoted (in its true definition), ignorant, rude, closed minded, hypocritical, self righteous and generally all round disgusting people I've ever had the displeasure of conversing with.

They're also incredibly racist and don't even know it. "Non-whites are so strong and empowered that they need us middle classed white luvvies to speak for them and tell them what to think!" ~ their entire attitude. Superiority complex Have you seen how nasty and vile these "liberal" lefties get if a non-white holds a conservative opinion or disagrees with their narrative?
superiority complex and self righteous, say it again man! More like manipulators as well, especially the celebrity liberals and social media virtue signalling propagandising intellectuals! Hate them! Stand up for "people of colour" but have ZERO coloured friends, eh? "Cultured" but wont hire coloured people or working class at their little hipster boutiques and bars, eh? Believe in women's rights nothing to say about racism. eh? Bottom feeding hypocrites, guilt tripping people into doing what they want and usually it's totally low or just plain asinine what they want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.54%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.49%
No, I chose not to (144)
28.92%