How does post grad placement work? Watch

satinahall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I’m applying for a Stage Mangement course that involves placements, some at uni and some within the industry, and I wondered if anyone knew how that worked? Do I find my own placement or does the uni do it for me? I don’t want to be placed somewhere far from home or uni since money is tight and I don’t know how much I can spend on travel.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by satinahall)
Hi,

I’m applying for a Stage Mangement course that involves placements, some at uni and some within the industry, and I wondered if anyone knew how that worked? Do I find my own placement or does the uni do it for me? I don’t want to be placed somewhere far from home or uni since money is tight and I don’t know how much I can spend on travel.
It depends on the uni. They may automatically assign you a placement, you may have to find one yourself, or you might be given a selection that you apply for. Check with the admissions tutor to see what the arrangement at that particular uni is.
satinahall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It depends on the uni. They may automatically assign you a placement, you may have to find one yourself, or you might be given a selection that you apply for. Check with the admissions tutor to see what the arrangement at that particular uni is.
My one concern is that they would place me away from uni or home and that I would have to pay for accommodation for four weeks, do they take into mind the location of where students are from and where the uni is? I’m from Manchester hoping to go to Edinburgh, don’t want to be placed somewhere ridiculously far and expensive to go like London or something.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by satinahall)
My one concern is that they would place me away from uni or home and that I would have to pay for accommodation for four weeks, do they take into mind the location of where students are from and where the uni is? I’m from Manchester hoping to go to Edinburgh, don’t want to be placed somewhere ridiculously far and expensive to go like London or something.
I would imagine the university may have agreements or partnerships with particular companies to host students, so there may not be much choice. From my experience of studying a course which involved placements, the priority of location went to students who had family commitments (i.e. children) or other employment. It could be a completely different story at Edinburgh though, so you really need to ask them specifically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads