The Student Room Group

What is Distribution Function?

In my syllabus, the following is given (for CIE):

use the definition of the distribution function as a probability to deduce the form of a distribution function in simple cases, e.g. to find the distribution function for Y, where Y = X^3
and X has a given distribution;

Does distribution function specifically mean cumulative distribution here?

Is there a simple way to find the distribution of X^3 if X has the distribution f(x) = (1/9)x^2 for 0 <= x <= 3. For what function f(x) is the distribution of X^3 easy to find?
(edited 5 years ago)
"Distribution Function" and "Cumulative Distribution Function" mean the same thing.

Edit: But in this case I think what's being referred to is the pdf.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
"Distribution Function" and "Cumulative Distribution Function" mean the same thing.

You would find xu3f(u)du \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{x} u^3 \cdot f(u) \mathrm{d}u

You sure about that integral? Doesn't look right to me.

Wiki also says "distribution function" is ambiguous:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution_function

esrever
..To remove the ambiguity; are you talking about a discrete distribution or a continuous one?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
To remove the ambiguity; are you talking about a discrete distribution or a continuous one?

Actually nothing was mentioned specifically by CIE. I will check out some other A level exam board spec for a hint.
Original post by esrever
Actually nothing was mentioned specifically by CIE. I will check out some other A level exam board spec for a hint.

Yeah, I just had a look and it's ambiguous; I don't think looking at another board will tell you with confidence what they mean.

So, the two cases:

If you're talkijng about a discrete variable, then it's pretty obvious. If you know the distribution p(X = x) for X (e.g. for a die. p(X = k) = 1/6, for k = 1,..,.6), then if Y = X^2, then p(Y = j) will be the sum of all p(X=k) for k satisfying k^2 = Y. In other words, you find the values (*) of X that give the value of Y that you want and add them up.

(*) there may be 0, 1 or more possible values for X.

What I think is far more likely is that they're talking about continuous functions. In which case if X has a cumulative distribution function F (so that F(x) = P(X <= x)), then if Y = X^3, then obviously P(Y <= y) = P(X <= y^(1/3)) = F(y^(1/3)). So finding the cumulative function for Y is relatvely easy.

But what I think they may actually be getting at is what happens if you want to do the same thing with probability density functions. E.g. suppose X is uniformly distributed on [0,1] (so X has pdf p(X=x) = 1 (0 <= x < = 1), 0 otherwise. If Y = X^3, what is the pdf for Y?

To do this, you basically have to convert to cumulative functions and back. The cdf F(x) for X is P(X<=x) = x (assuming 0<=x<=1).. So the cdf G(y) for Y is P(Y<=y) = P(X <= y^(1/3)) = y^(1/3).

But the pdf for Y is just the derivative of the cumulative density function, so the pdf for Y is ddyy1/3=1/3y2/3\dfrac{d}{dy}y^{1/3} = 1/3 y^{-2/3}.

The reason I think it's this is basically because there's actually "something to teach" with this. The first two options hardly seem worth an entry on the specification. I have definitely seen STEP questions where you need to do the pdf->cdf->pdf steps to get an answer (and I only really look at STEP questions, so that's not to imply it doesn't come up at A-level).
Reply 5
Yeah, I just had a look and it's ambiguous; I don't think looking at another board will tell you with confidence what they mean.

So, the two cases:

If you're talkijng about a discrete variable, then it's pretty obvious. If you know the distribution p(X = x) for X (e.g. for a die. p(X = k) = 1/6, for k = 1,..,.6), then if Y = X^2, then p(Y = j) will be the sum of all p(X=k) for k satisfying k^2 = Y. In other words, you find the values (*) of X that give the value of Y that you want and add them up.

(*) there may be 0, 1 or more possible values for X.

What I think is far more likely is that they're talking about continuous functions. In which case if X has a cumulative distribution function F (so that F(x) = P(X <= x)), then if Y = X^3, then obviously P(Y <= y) = P(X <= y^(1/3)) = F(y^(1/3)). So finding the cumulative function for Y is relatvely easy.

But what I think they may actually be getting at is what happens if you want to do the same thing with probability density functions. E.g. suppose X is uniformly distributed on [0,1] (so X has pdf p(X=x) = 1 (0 <= x < = 1), 0 otherwise. If Y = X^3, what is the pdf for Y?

To do this, you basically have to convert to cumulative functions and back. The cdf F(x) for X is P(X<=x) = x (assuming 0<=x<=1).. So the cdf G(y) for Y is P(Y<=y) = P(X <= y^(1/3)) = y^(1/3).

But the pdf for Y is just the derivative of the cumulative density function, so the pdf for Y is ddyy1/3=1/3y2/3\dfrac{d}{dy}y^{1/3} = 1/3 y^{-2/3}.

The reason I think it's this is basically because there's actually "something to teach" with this. The first two options hardly seem worth an entry on the specification. I have definitely seen STEP questions where you need to do the pdf->cdf->pdf steps to get an answer (and I only really look at STEP questions, so that's not to imply it doesn't come up at A-level).

OMG! It's so nice of you for taking out time and writing this for me. Thank you so much :smile:. I understand it well now!

I just wanted to confirm the answer for the discrete variable distribution. If P(X = k) = 1/6, for k = 1, 2, .., 6 and Y = X^2 then P(Y = y) = 1/6 where y belongs to the set {1,4,9,16,25,36} right?
You sure about that integral? Doesn't look right to me.

Wiki also says "distribution function" is ambiguous:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution_function

To remove the ambiguity; are you talking about a discrete distribution or a continuous one?

That's "probability distribution function". "Distribution function" commonly refers to the CDF. See the first sentence on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulative_distribution_function

I don't see what's wrong with the integral. -\infty refers to the lower limit.
Original post by NotNotBatman
That's "probability distribution function". "Distribution function" commonly refers to the CDF. See the first sentence on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulative_distribution_function

I don't see what's wrong with the integral. -\infty refers to the lower limit.
I stand corrected on distribution function, although I certainly wasn't aware that was the standard definition, and I'm unconvinced it's what is intended here.

What's your integral supposed to represent? And is f supposed to be the cumulative distribution function or the pdf?

Edit: I'm finding it really hard to think of any meaning for your integral that is going to work if we're considering the random variable uniformly distributed on [-2,-1], say (since u^3 will be -ve).
(edited 5 years ago)
I stand corrected on distribution function, although I certainly wasn't aware that was the standard definition, and I'm unconvinced it's what is intended here.

What's your integral supposed to represent? And is f supposed to be the cumulative distribution function or the pdf?

Edit: I'm finding it really hard to think of any meaning for your integral that is going to work if we're considering the random variable uniformly distributed on [-2,-1], say (since u^3 will be -ve).

I have mistakenly mixed up finding Expected values and CDFs ( my excuse being it was 4am).

My original intention was to say f is the pdf, as given in the question, a lower case f implies that f(x) is a pdf, rather than a cdf. FY(y)=P(X3y)=FX(y1/3) F_Y(y) = P(X^3 \leq y ) = F_X(y^{1/3}) because of monotonicity, which now allows one to work out the pdf, but this got jumbled up with other calculations. Now that I've read through it, I'm confused at the language being used and now agree with you that they would ask for the pdf, as the cdf of such functions seems to be above A level.

Quick Reply

Latest