hard drive not showing up on mac

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
my hard drive only shows up if I reset the whole machine each time, which is a waste of time. It shows its plugged in because the light is switched on but under devices on finder it's not coming up nor on the storage on about this mac
Anonymous #1
I have changed usb inputs as well but its not showing up on either
Anonymous #1
bump. still not showing up
Anonymous #1
yes external. I only use this one drive and its only just started happening
its one of the seagate 1tb and when I got it the cable works fine but its awfully short and wobbly when its plugged into the drive itself but most hard drive cables seem to be short and not connecting well for others so I just chose this one. i don't know if there is an other cable for it like a longer more stable one? it's not like the apple cables i'm used to
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Technology and computers.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my hard drive only shows up if I reset the whole machine each time, which is a waste of time. It shows its plugged in because the light is switched on but under devices on finder it's not coming up nor on the storage on about this mac
What fs is it?
reb3kah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
What fs is it?
fs? sorry I'm not sure what you mean
reb3kah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it's making the same noise that it does when it's plugged in so I do know its working just the cable might not be connecting properly but I don't know what else i can do with it when its one that pulls out so easily if you move
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by reb3kah)
fs? sorry I'm not sure what you mean
Filesystem. How is it formatted? It might be misbehaving because it's not formatted in a way that OSX can readily understand, only working when it's plugged in because of kernel modules or something. I don't know enough about how OSX's kernel to make any specific comment about that though.

Fire it up and go into the properties and see what filesystem type it is, maybe run diagnostics. If it's NTFS or exFAT, move the stuff onto another drive for now and reformat it to FAT32, which is universally supported, then move the stuff back. If it's already FAT32 then you want to run diagnostics on the computer itself, some config might be wrong somewhere.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I said something like that in my next post. It could be that it loads the driver if it's plugged in when the juice is turned on but not if it's hotplugged. It's the kind of backwards things that used to happen to me when I used to use Linux, before I learned about kernel modules and properly setting things up.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well sometimes stuff like that happens. Could be a blip with that specific device, some incompatibility - or some fault in OP's specific setup, like some configs have gone awry or there's a conflict of some sort.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hmm thanks very much for your help. I've not updated my software for the reason that I don't trust apple to not fck my machine up somehow and I'd have to take into the store, i use el capitan, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. macbooks are outdated anyway, I'm thinking of keeping my ipad as my only apple device. I've gone from having a lot of their products to having a few and being less interested in the latest releases.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes its very silly, flimsy for a PRICEY hard drive with a short cable ugh if you have any recs for others I'd be happy to switch it for something else. I'd get a new cable but I don't want to run into the same problems again. haha I'll try ones at college as its my only machine, my dad has my older mac which is considerabley slower. thanks for the suggestions and help though! would it possibly work if I got one of those external usb port connectors?
reb3kah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Moved to Technology and computers.
thank you
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by reb3kah)
hmm thanks very much for your help. I've not updated my software for the reason that I don't trust apple to not fck my machine up somehow and I'd have to take into the store, i use el capitan, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. macbooks are outdated anyway, I'm thinking of keeping my ipad as my only apple device. I've gone from having a lot of their products to having a few and being less interested in the latest releases.
It might not be the issue here, but usually having the latest software helps get rid of glitches like this - if you're still running the software from four years ago then you're more likely to run into compatibility issues.

I don't know why people fear updating their MacBooks, I've updated through everything since I starting using a Mac with Mountain Lion and never had any problems.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
It might not be the issue here, but usually having the latest software helps get rid of glitches like this - if you're still running the software from four years ago then you're more likely to run into compatibility issues.

I don't know why people fear updating their MacBooks, I've updated through everything since I starting using a Mac with Mountain Lion and never had any problems.
I got it working, thanks so much I had to install something from the seagate site but yeah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (144)
42.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.93%

Watched Threads