TelepathyGirl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
Just asking anyone out there if they have (or know anyone with) experience in doing a Higher in S4, specifically Maths.

I've been offered by my teacher to do the prelim, but I have to do well in that to actually get a place in the final exam. It's been a lot of hard work and extra effort, but with the occasional helping hand from my teacher and one of my sixth-year friends, I managed to pass the recent pre-prelim test with 82%.

Anyone out there that can give me their experiences with doing courses a year early is welcome to share!
username3881192
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean I'm doing Higher as an S5 and I'm dying so I'd say if you do well in your prelim then go for it but if you don't feel confident that you can get a low B then I'd try for N5 first, get an A (hopefully), and then progress to higher next year. Also some Unis require all highers to be sat in the same year so it's worth checking.
username3881192
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by creo_scorpio)
I mean I'm doing Higher as an S5 and I'm dying so I'd say if you do well in your prelim then go for it but if you don't feel confident that you can get a low B then I'd try for N5 first, get an A (hopefully), and then progress to higher next year. Also some Unis require all highers to be sat in the same year so it's worth checking.
btw the reason I say low B is because that's usually roughly the same as N5 A
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TelepathyGirl)
Hi,
Just asking anyone out there if they have (or know anyone with) experience in doing a Higher in S4, specifically Maths.

I've been offered by my teacher to do the prelim, but I have to do well in that to actually get a place in the final exam. It's been a lot of hard work and extra effort, but with the occasional helping hand from my teacher and one of my sixth-year friends, I managed to pass the recent pre-prelim test with 82%.

Anyone out there that can give me their experiences with doing courses a year early is welcome to share!
I know a few people who have done a Higher in S4, and they've done well. I'd suggest doing the higher prelim, and make your decision after that, as that will give you a better idea of where you're at. It sounds like you're capable, so if you're willing to put in the effort and would like to do it then go for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise